Esteemed Contributor

Carpet Cleaners

[ Edited ]

Can anyone give me a good recommendation for a rug cleaner please.  I would like one to clean area rugs and upholstery.   Thanks

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Valued Contributor

Hello, I use a Rug Doctor. It it a little tricky on the area rugs but I made it work. The rugs and upholstery dry quicky because the machine removes most of the liquid.  I bought mine from QVC quite a while ago when it was a TSV.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo Woman Happy

Thank you for your response. You answered my primary concern, suction.  I want something of course that will will clean but a machine that will suction out the water is important. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

My DD rented a shampooer at Lowes, it was $24 for 24hr, she has a 1 bedroom apt with a dog that sometimes has problems, she said it folded up nice into the trunk of her car & light weight. She had to buy shampoo but said everything came out great. I had a bissel but after 10yrs needed to be replaced got a hoover. Hoover does a nice job carpets dry fully in 2-3 hrs. I do not move furniture. Also it's just the 2 of us but whenever I want to do a fast shampoo the hoover is there. I now know the rug doctor is light weight & maybe will try to do that once a yr. Also I could not do all the house in 24hrs. I paid around $200 for the hoover.

Esteemed Contributor

I own the little Bissell that QVC offers.  You have to be careful to not oversaturate the carpet but it works well.  Also helps if the rug has been kept clean by frequent vacuuming (not assuming that you have not).  I have not tried it on upholstery.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I have both a Bissell and a Hoover that were in the $200., range.  They both do a good job but I prefer the Hoover.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have owned a variety of carpet cleaners thru the years and finally have found Bissell works the best for my needs. I always have German shepherds, kids, etc. I needed a machine that was ighter weight but would still perform. I needed a machine that would not soak the carpet/rug and really suck up the dirty water. I purchased two Bissell carpet cleaners in the the last three years. One is the big machine for full house rug/cleaning and the other machine is smaller upgright version for accident/spot/high traffic area cleaning. I love them. It's great to have the option of both machines. I like the feature of the two tanks. No more lugging heavy water tanks to the sink to refill. This system has two tanks for the water(dirty & clean). It also scrubs not just glides over the fibers. It has power to suck up the water so the rug dries in no time at all. I use it on my wall to wall and my Royal Palace Rugs. Does a beautiful job.   

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for the Hoover Steam Vac.  Does hard floor surfaces and rugs. Ten years old and going strong.  LM

Trusted Contributor

i;ve been wanting to do my carpets for almost 7 months  lol they need it bad, i live in a small apt. and i'm not moving the big heavy furniture, want to rent one for probably 2 days, gonna shampoo them once and let it dry and go over it again.. like i said there dirty and dont think were ever done, worst part is carrying it up to my 3rd floor, so need something light weight. and on the smaller size, has to fit in my car... once i do do them, i wanna purchase my own machine for regular touch ups..  

Honored Contributor

Re: Carpet Cleaners

[ Edited ]

I have a Bissell Pro Heat.  I use mine to freshen up my carpeting once a year but I still pay to have my carpets scrubbed professionally once a year as well.   It does have the attachments for doing the steps and upholstery but I've yet to try it.