Respected Contributor

Any input on this would be welcome...

They seem to run real good sales before Thanksgiving on washer/dryers. This year I think I will just go with a new set. Rather than waiting on one of mine to quit. And, then purchasing something because I “need” it right now and paying quite a bit more for the same thing,

The set I have is old and I am surprised it still is running quite frankly! They are not worth having repaired as to their age and the many many many loads they have both completed over the years. 

Top load or front load? Brand to stay away from? Which are your preferences? Thank you ladies. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Re: Washer/Dryer preferences?

Top load, Whirlpool.

Honored Contributor

Top load, GE.  When we had our home built almost 16 years ago that is what the builder supplied and the w/d is still working, much to my suprise and satisfaction.  Never had a front load and have no intention of ever getting one.

Honored Contributor

I'm with @Shelbelle, my top load Whirlpool has served me well. It's not fancy by any means but washes and rinses just fine.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

Any input on this would be welcome...

They seem to run real good sales before Thanksgiving on washer/dryers. This year I think I will just go with a new set. Rather than waiting on one of mine to quit. And, then purchasing something because I “need” it right now and paying quite a bit more for the same thing,

The set I have is old and I am surprised it still is running quite frankly! They are not worth having repaired as to their age and the many many many loads they have both completed over the years. 

Top load or front load? Brand to stay away from? Which are your preferences? Thank you ladies. 

Actually, I'll take an old(er) top loader that one can still get parts for, ANY day over a new model. I own a top-loader Whirlpool washer that has seen better days but it works great. My daughter "inherited" an older model washer with the house she recently moved into. She needed it repaired, as she has 4 kids so it got a lot more use than the sweet older retired couple that sold the house to her.  The good news was the part and labor was reasonable and the repairman told her, "take good care of it, they don't make them to last like the older models".

My daughter knows this, as she has purchased the set of fancy red top loader and dryer ( I think it was a Samsung or LG). She had to have it repaired, and I want to say at a cost of  $4-500 for parts and labor. I know she wondered if she should replace. She opted for the repair. 

Meant to add, just my two-cents, good luck with whatever you decide - it's about what makes you comfortable too. One good thing is you have time to do your research too. 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

Just researched this myself - I burned out (2) Maytags...never again. My choice was top loader LG.

Honored Contributor

I think it's smart to research and narrow down the list of options that are must have and then get a list of makes/models you want so you can shop the sales.

Having had to buy a refrigerator in a hurry over Thanksgiving weekend, I just went with what was the least expensive and fit in the space and didn't really think about options.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

BTW, there are quite a few current threads on this subject, so you might find something in one of those also.  Smiley Happy

I just purchased a GE set.   Top load washer, as I was not interested in front-load.  Also, the washer I got doesn't have that agitator thing in the middle.   I rather like it this way because I don't have to make sure heavy loads are super equally distributed.  If I don't have it just right, it seems to jostle things until they are. 

They seemed to have good reviews, but not the highest end with all the stuff they have now to hook into your internet  network and such.   Don't even get why that is a thing at all!   Oddly, however, I saw a telephone port on the back of the washer.   What the heck!    Didn't see if the dryer also had that, as the guy put it in the spot before I could check out the back.

I like them.   Washing now takes longer than the old machines.  Used to be about 30-32 minutes in my old one but this one usually starts out with 52-59 minutes.    Dryer seems more effective than my old one.  Not sure if that's because it was pretty old or what, but it would take me a long time to dry heavier stuff.  

One thing to look for now, is some type of 'extra fill' button because they don't fill anywhere near as much as they used to.  With the button I find it fills just right.

I had my Kenmore for 20-some years, so I did find that there is a bit of a learning curve.    It's not bad, though.   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not going to give washer suggestion ever since the only good one no longer is being made, namely Speed Queen topload agitator.   There is actually one more topload agitator I oculd recommend but it gets to frustrating repeating myself in every washer thread.

As far as dryers, Whirlpool all the way.  NOT Speed Queen.   Whirlpool has decent temperature settings, by decent I mean accurate, and good automatic moisture sensors.  Speed Queen does not.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy matching sets,  Just buy what is best in each selection independently.

Valued Contributor

I had purchased an LG set for my previous home and I had no issues with it. Sadly, I had to move and my new home has 15 year old Whirlpool that I'm not quite willing part with as yet. 

Whatever you, I would recommend that you purchase one that offers the flexibility to add water (water plus feature). The LG I bought used very little water that I ended up using the water plus feature routinely. Also, look for one with a bulky item feature. I also found that the santize feature was good to ensure that there was no build up of mold or mildew in my washers (top load) and after use I always kept the lip up. 

Good luck in your search!