Honored Contributor

Re: CONNECTICUT SALTBOX AT CHRISTMAS

Ditto, @stevieb!

Honored Contributor

I love the pinecones on the staircase.  I don't think I've ever seen pinecones that large.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

The kitchen is so charming. Love it.

Trusted Contributor

Love the furniture! Especially the tables in the first pic and the dining area. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

Exterior house and property.

11_River_Road_1024x684.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@beach-mom,  your ideas for lightening up the dining room just a bit are great!  As for chinoiserie,  a few blue and white ginger jars would be perfectly in keeping with the "mood",  and I believe would help temper the dark "hunt club" effect....

But I don't want to step on the toes of @stevieb, @luvmybeetle, or @Foxxee, who plan to set up housekeeping there and may have decorating plans of their own...  Woman Happy

@Oznell - LOL - neither do I! I had a neighbor who decorated her whole house in dark colors - dark green, maroon, navy, etc. It was beautiful, but I'm more of a "light and bright" kind of girl, although I'm sitting in our clay colored den! I'm NOT a fan of the current grey trend with the millenials I know. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee  Oh well, I guess you guys can duke it out for the house. Pretty as it is, it doesn't look like a saltbox to me... Looks like a big beautifull sprawling old colonial, which is also a prize, but alas, I had my heart set on a saltox...

Woman Surprised Woman Sad Woman Wink

Of course, a cute Cape Cod cottage would do too... as would a pretty yellow colonial, but on a smaller scale... and so would... and on... and on... and on...

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Hmmm... they definitely identified it as a "saltbox".   I think there must be an original one in there, with the long, sloping roofline, but like so many houses added on to over the centuries (!), the original lines of the house have been somewhat obscured by all the additions....

In fact, I wonder if that smaller wing to the left in @Foxxee's picture was the original saltbox-- it has the requisite extended long "catslide" roofline in the back.

Or it still could be the bigger section, we just can't see the back roofline as it is obscured...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Hmmm... they definitely identified it as a "saltbox".   I think there must be an original one in there, with the long, sloping roofline, but like so many houses added on to over the centuries (!), the original lines of the house have been somewhat obscured by all the additions....

In fact, I wonder if that smaller wing to the left in @Foxxee's picture was the original saltbox-- it has the requisite extended long "catslide" roofline in the back.

Or it still could be the bigger section, we just can't see the back roofline as it is obscured...

@Oznell 

To me it looks like the saltbox is the larger middle section with additions to the left and right.  We might need to go to the back of the house to see the sloping roof if it still exists.  

Maybe, the house looks better from the front, but from what I see in this photo, not sure I like it.  Doesn't look like a saltbox at all.   

I could overlook it, though, for the interior.  

Honored Contributor

I like the use of greenery throughout. I like the library & kitchen best, but all the rooms are too cluttered for me.

I hate the animal head skin rug.