Honored Contributor

CONNECTICUT SALTBOX AT CHRISTMAS

Featured at that invaluable Quintessence site, this old, old Connecticut house is from the 1700's and golly, it is something!   Here it is decorated for Christmas, but I'd love it any time.  In the renovation, the owners upgraded where they needed to, but were sensitive to the age of the house and retained so many lovely elements from the past.

The homeowner collects antique mercury balls which make a restrained but festive holiday welcome, along with pretty branches...

Beefy pinecones adorn this charming staircase.

I like the way this fierce tigger's coloring echoes that of the berries.

Library table loaded for Christmas.

This Christmas-y hearth area in the dining room reminds me of some patrician gentleman's club in London....

A detail of the mantel, with feathers:

The antique sconces help illuminate those gorgeous weathered walls:

That chunky antique brass chandelier seems so Edwardian:

Mirror-like chargers increase the sparkle exponentially!

I believe this cozy library is the oldest part of the house, dating from the 1770's.  The owners had to remove a dropped sheetrock ceiling!

A venerable supporting post like this just enhances the "old house" feeling.  It's funny, you see these a lot in really old English cottages, of Shakespearean vintage.

The homeowner acquired these dog paintings because they remind her of her dog.

What a dreamy, vintage country kitchen:

You can glimpse some of the house's more formal architecture in the living room.  This was the "ball room" of the original house, and it's huge!

Honored Contributor

Re: CONNECTICUT SALTBOX AT CHRISTMAS

@Oznell  We need an exterior shot as I do love a saltbox... Meanwhile, please have the existing occupants vacate, as I'll be arriving in the coming week to take possession... Thank you veddy much...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautiful, expensive seasonal decorations.   Those who decorate ought to get some ideas here.   The house itself is too cluttered for my taste but I love the crude old, hand-hewn beams, wide window sills, shelving, floors and woodwork.  It's funny that many elements found in Revolutionary Era homes were also found in adobe Spanish Colonial homes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Well, I love the xmas tree.   That's about it.  All of the rest is way too heavy, cluttered, dark and OTT for me.    I'd feel so claustrophobic in there.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Oznell  We need an exterior shot as I do love a saltbox... Meanwhile, please have the existing occupants vacate, as I'll be arriving in the coming week to take possession... Thank you veddy much...

Excuse me, but I am moving in.  I'll let you know when I need to sell.  

Trusted Contributor

What a nice glimpse into history. 

I really wanted to like it, but, honestly, most rooms were so overcrowded with stuff, it got in the way of noticing the home's details.

IMO, the kitchen was the only room that you could see the history in full.  Although, I loved the pics on the staircase wall & the 2 dog pics.

Wonder what the exterior of the home & the property looked like?  I'm picturing those nice old original stone walls that are on so many NE properties.  Maybe a couple of barns, lush fields, a brook or pond, etc.  Wishful thinking?  Maybe ..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Excuse me, but I am moving in.  I'll let you know when I need to sell.  

@luvmybeetle  So sorry, but I spoke first... I would be happy, however, to invite you for a lengthy stay... I'm sure the place could accommodate us both...

Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I have mixed feelings about this place.  I too would like to see it from the outside. 

Those sure are some 'beefy pinecones' lining the staircase.  I got turned off by the lion rug in the one room.  Too much clutter, the decorations just get lost.  It is like a step back in time which is interesting and beautiful, but its got some strange decor that just sort of turns me off.  I'd xpect some possum stew simmering on the stove in that kitchen.  Woman Tongue

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

My bags are packed to move in tomorrow.  Have been waiting here for the perfect house and decor with my name on it.  This is it and located in New England, where you're more likely to find a 1700's saltbox, my favorite area in the country.

Love everything about it, particularly the beamed family room, equestrian touches and kitchen.  I see a BMW sitting in the driveway.  Like them, too.

The lion on the floor may have to go if it's real.  

Everything is gorgeous, the Christmas decorations exquisite.  I'd like to see the entire property from the outside.  

This one gets 100 stars.  A++++++++++++

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee  All right look, I see I'm going to have to fend off several of you, but really, having staked my claim early, sorry but you'll need to keep looking... Honestly though, since your bags are paoked, you too are welcome to visit...