Esteemed Contributor

I've often said I don't want a room/house that's "matchy matchy" but it/they have to be a little more cohesive for me and not quite as eclectic.  There are some very nice furniture and decor pieces shown here but I wouldn't put them together as this designer has done.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

So pretty, and very chic to me..

Honored Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I like all types of "cottage" decorating-- English, French, and different U.S. and Canadian iterations, with special fondness for New England cottage style.

Designer Stefani Stein here does yet another variation, a breezy sort of L.A. version, relaxed, with a smidge of 'boho',  and of course with the eclecticism that marks all the styles.   

20190814_JPeffley_StefaniStein_1367_trt.jpg

That vase on the coffee table wouldn't last 2 minutes in my house without toppling over Smiley Surprised

@In-x-s 

You put those marble-like things from the florist center in and give it weight in the bottom or either get gravel and weight it down.  Then it will not topple over.  

Honored Contributor

I always thought a cottage was as described by dictionaries as a small, cozy home often in a rural area many times by a lake or beach. Often has cedar shingles, gabled roofs, bay windows, maybe a small garden.

I think of Angela Lansbury's home in Murder She Wrote. Or Beatrice Potter storybooks.

These accessories are interesting but the furnishings don't look cozy to me, more modern or mid century modern with iron legs on the chairs and straight backs.

Has the idea of a cottage taken on a broader meaning?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I like all of it.  Vey nice.

Honored Contributor

Right you are, @Nonametoday --  I have a tippy vase, that I wouldn't be able to use for heavy arrangements if I didn't put in weights.  I use my little shimmery glass pebbles you get at Walmart...

@on the bay ,   "cottage" is one of those elastic, 'forgiving' categories, ha.    As I said, I like all the iterations, traditional English, New England, et al.  But there is a type of cottage style that is a little more free-and-easy, incorporating more influences.  It does have a little coastal, a little boho vibe.

But this modern cottage room still has characteristics long associated with the style--  beams, combos of colors, both prints and solids, appreciation of natural elements like wood and stone. 

But mostly, like all cottage styles, it has a low-key eclecticism, and to me, an inviting coziness.  Bringing together quite different elements, like, in this case, the traditional Asian rug along with more quirky clean-lined furniture.  The attachment to the range of ceramics, employed in different ways.  And especially, the traditional fabrics like the soft velvet of the chair, combined with the more homespun textiles.  It's the cottage spirit of "make-do", and make it more interesting....     

Honored Contributor

It's nice to see how a smaller more narrow space is decorated. I like most of what they've done except the blue chairs. They draw my eye away from the rest of the space. I'd prefer something that blends in more with the other pieces. Love the greenery!  I don't like words on objects in interior design so the pillow is not my style. I don't like the upside down head vase. It's a bit creepy to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Not only do I enjoy the photos you post, @Oznell, but your comments are always so interesting and informative as well. Just wanted to say thanks!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, kind @jannabelle1 --  much appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Each to their own, but this doesn't suggest 'cottage' to me either @on the bay. I don't care for this aesthetic. I do like the blue color on the kitchen cabinets, but otherwise, I don't think there's anything here I'd covet.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...