Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying New Furniture Because What You Own is “Dated”?

I got a new sofa and recliner last year.  My old stuff wasn't that great of quality anyway and, yes, it was dated.  I love my new furniture.  I would get new furniture every 5 years if I could.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

When we hear, as we do with fashion, this is in, this is out, that was popular way back when, then I think it was an unwise purchase.

A neighbor who is an interior designer thinks styles past Federal ending in 1820 are poor design.  High quality reproduced styles from the 1700's to early 1800's don't go out of style.  Take good care of it and it will last a lifetime. 

Some would say her tastes are dated.  Others love it.  But, usually we won't hear interior designers and furniture stores tell us it is dated and out of fashion.  

Similar to trendy clothing.  Will we like it and wear it next year?  How much money is spent on trendy fashions over a lifetime compared to high quality classic styles that don't go out of style?  Just as flowery prints today will be out in the near future, so will flowery sofas be dated, too.

"Dated" depends on what is considered good style and worth preserving whether it's designed many years ago or five years ago.  

Honored Contributor

No I do not.   Im lucky cuz my family gave me some nice furniture 2 years ago though. But I couldnt afford to replace things that they call out dated!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Frequent Contributor

Most of the furniture I own is 25-35 yrs old. It still looks good and I like it!

Respected Contributor

No, absolutely not.  

Consider the source of the comment...a furniture SALESMAN.  LOL

Respected Contributor

HA-HA!

All my furniture, except the family room sofa and chair, is over one hundred years old.

My Victorian pieces are solid and heavy walnut and oak, so well built and very indestructible.

I even have a few three hundred year old Windsor chairs (hand-made).

We have had some chairs recovered with new tapestry prints when the fabric wears out.

We just do not buy "new," as the construction is somewhat shoddy, and fashions are basically all "blah" compared to Victorian Eastlake, Roccoco Revival, Gothic Revival and Renaissance Revival.

My house is my castle!

Honored Contributor

My stuff is still in good shape so the "dated" stuff is still being used. We have replaced our recliners, sofa and bed. 

Esteemed Contributor

"3-5 year" comment by furniture salesman: Can you say "Commission" ?

Honored Contributor

I buy good quality furniture so that it doesn't wear out.  I tend to keep everything for years, including my clothing.

Dated is a word that means nothing to me.  Styles come in and out of popularity.  I always buy what appeals to me and not what some designer says I should have.

My dining room table was purchased in 1962 by my mother.  It is so much better than what can be purchased today.  You can close it up to  3 ft wide and open it up to easily seat 12 people. I did replace the chairs, second hand and in like new condition.

I prefer cherry or maple wood. I am not a fan of oak.

I surround myself with things that make me happy and they they become like friends.  It pains me to have to replace an old friend. 

Honored Contributor

I buy good furniture that lasts.  But I got rid of the 30 year old Queen Ann dining table that was 30 years old and invested in a larger table and Chippendale chairs that I love.

I have a 30 year old English arm sofa that looks as good as the day I bought it and it wasn't cheap but I got my. money's worth for sure! 

My furniture is mostly traditional English and French--not terribly ornate, and mixed with more modern pieces to lighten up and give cleaner lines in some areas.  You couldn't pay me to have a house full of dark ornate Victorian pieces--which someone above loves and cherishes.

Coming from poor folks, I do not have nice heirloom pieces, and antique furniture isn't something I seek out.

It's fun to see what others like and what you all have and want!  That's what makes us all different.  My style?  Southern Home magazine hits all the right looks with me often times.