Respected Contributor

All three houses that I have lived in as an adult have had an open concept even the tiny row home in the city I lived in before having children.  I say yay.

Respected Contributor

I say Nay.  Never have lived in one, but am not a fan - don't like that you can see the messy kitchen from all spots in the house.   We had dinner at a house once that was open concept.  I could see the messy kitchen the entire time we were eating.  

Give me a formal dining room!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

You know I like Open Concept to a point, I don't like some of the houses I see where everything is open to each other, but a little Open concept I do like!

I also on the other hand like separate rooms, like Dining Rooms, so really for me I need to see the layout. I have never lived in an All Open Concept house.

My sister has an open concept partially where her Family Room and Kitchen are open to each other and I really like it, but her Dining room is separate.

So for me it depends on the house and the layout! 

Respected Contributor

LOVE an open main floor....  Minimal walls preferred. You need SOME for a little definition, but not closed in rooms.  Much preferred.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Open concept yay or nay

[ Edited ]

I prefer rooms. I could live with a 'great room' type set up that features a kitchen/den/breakfast area combination, but want to be able to close off or open up rooms as I choose. Moreover, if I had my choice, I'd still prefer a living room and dining room (or sun room) in addition to a large less formal space for day to day living.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Open concept yay or nay

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife 

I say yay too!Woman Happy

though I can appreciate a nice dining room incorporated into it off to the sideSmiley Happy

My sil and bil had a wonderful home with the kitchen opening up to the living/family room where we almost always sat around the fireplace and watched Christmas movies. There was a dining room off to the right of the kitchen that was a little more separate but not entirely.

I loved that houseSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I'm afraid that I'm just not neat enough sometimes to have an open concept home.Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm afraid that I'm just not neat enough sometimes to have an open concept home.Smiley Embarassed

And there's that too...Woman Very Happy Agree...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I say ya!! I love the look and how much space you seem to have instead of boxed off rooms. I am a neat person, so it would not bother me for someone to be able to view multiple rooms at once 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely NAY!  I prefer separate rooms. 

A wide doorway between living room and dining room would be okay - but that's it. 

I don't entertain in the kitchen and don't want anyone around when I'm cooking.  A small galley kitchen with a door is my preference - and is what I have now.