Respected Contributor

There is an old saying "No one can take advantage of you unless you let them". 

Honored Contributor

I don't really understand what happened with your son but obviously your son created a big problem for hisself by trying to sell his house without a realtor.  I cannot even say that the potential buyer is at fault because smart people usually do get inspections, sometimes multiple inspections to ensure that there are no unforseen problems/costs with the property.  I take it your son put an offer down on a new home when he hadn't sold and wasn't even close to a sale on his home but I don't think that's the fault of the potential buyer.  He didn't make your son do that.  I don't see any "ruthless" buyer.  That's how it works in buying a home.  The buyer wants to get the cost down as low as possible,  the seller wants to get the price up as high as possible.  No, I would not have ever even spoken to someone who walked in off the street and offered to buy my home unless that person was a licensed realtor.  

Honored Contributor

We actually bought a home, sold a home, and bought a new home with no realtor involved and it was very easy. For sale by owner is not uncommon here in the Midwest - I guess as long as everyone is honest, it works well.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I'm not sure I followed your story as written however, it did remind me of another thing that every time I see it makes me wonder if it's some sort of scam and that is signs nailed to trees or poles, usually at intersections with handwritten words "will buy your home for cash" and a phone number. 

I suppose it works for people who want to sell their homes but the homes are run down and un-sellable.  I know someone whose mother was in that predicament.  She wanted to sell her house but she didn't have the money to do the roof and electrical repairs so she could sell it.  She sold it to a realtor that runs ads on tv that say  "We Buy Ugly Homes".  That might even be the name of the company.

Respected Contributor
Buyer and seller had realtor.
I felt deadlines for counters too liberal thus helping buyer.
Earnest money $500. is this typical? My experience has been higher amounts.
Respected Contributor
@ Crystaltree
Good Points. The fact that the contract offer made and agreed to was „as is“ except code issues. The big sticking point was made out to be new roof even though both parties inspectors said roof fine.
When market is so quick that homes sell in one day, buyers feel pressure to find home.
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

We get one ad after another to buy our home.  And we are not even selling.  One guy was taking pictures of our neighborhood and a few days later I got a picture of my property offering to buy it.  Yeah right. My house, I am staying.  One scam every day.  

After my father died and I probated his will I got a picture along with some sort of description of the house from a realtor stating this is what the MLS would look like if I listed with him.  

I found it downright creepy and contacted him to tell him if he stepped foot onto the property again I would have him arrested for trespassing.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

We actually bought a home, sold a home, and bought a new home with no realtor involved and it was very easy. For sale by owner is not uncommon here in the Midwest - I guess as long as everyone is honest, it works well.

That's a big "if" and not many people want to take that risk with the biggest purchase in life they will ever make.  I'd rather go through a realtor than hope that everything turns out alright.  It isn't even about honesty.  A lot can go wrong with a sale that is not about dishonesty by either party.  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@shaggygirl 

Those signs are everywhere where I live!

@KingstonsMom  Same here.

Honored Contributor

This happens to us all the time and has been for years. The people who contact us though want the house to turn into a rental because of our location. We're located a few miles north east of the OSU college campus.

We get a few phone calls but mostly letters and postcards in the mail. Some of the letters are humorous.

I always tell DH I'll gladly sell for a $340K cashiers check - or more if the buyer so chooses.