Honored Contributor

Re: Brown furniture.

[ Edited ]

I personally think vintage and antique furniture look best when they are mixed in with other things... I also am a fan of the occasional piece of painted furniture and unless a piece is truly a valuable antique have no qualms with painting it to give a clearly vintage piece a fresh look... Painting or refinishing furniture can be painstaking but can also be somewhat relaxing...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the input. I was feeling a little down, thinking we are really in a time warp, but as some said, it is sales driven partly is why trends change so much. Classics are forever. It is snowing to beat the band here, but as some suggested, I will start bringing out some spring colors this weekend and try to vamp it up around here. Our walls are light in color, so that is not a problem. And maybe adding a piece of white furniture just might be what is needed. I just know VPH must have a beautiful home, but she speaks of being so crazy about black furniture and how her husband has said enough of black. Maybe a little black worked in might work as well as white to help modernize my decor some and mix it up some from all tradional. Love how everyone helps on these forums when we have a problem to solve.

Honored Contributor

I have to say that I am weary of brown anything as well as antique anything. Been living with this stuff for years. It has lost its charm and think if the extrended family doesn’t want the antiques, I will try to sell them. As for the brown—- well I will be re doing rooms top to bottom due to a tree falling on my house and hello, light and bright and neutral surfaces. Out with the dust catchers and in with modern, sleek, easy to use everything. Am over working so hard to keep up a house. 

Esteemed Contributor

@nomar : the only things that look good in a house on a snowy day are lights of all kinds, including candle light and a roaring fire in the fireplace and cozy throw blankets.

Not the best day to evaluate your decor and antiques, LOL!

Hang in there- spring is coming and March is just two weeks away!

Respected Contributor

Brown is fine, I do think though too much brown can be boring. 

Beiges, tans, browns - seem to be the furniture colors these days.

Need some nice accents of colors to offset it and bring some life

to all that brown going on. 

We should look look on the bright side - there are several shades

of these boring neutral colors from which to choose! Yep.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@nomar wrote:

As I am cleaning today on this snowy day, I look around at all of my "brown"furniture. I am reading that brown furniture is outdated and no longer the thing to have. We started collecting antiques in 1980 when we lived in a big old house and refinished many pieces and loved the look of Victorian in some things. My magazines at that time (example, OLD Country Living, Colonial Homes, Old Traditional Homes.) all featured that type of decorating. Now all I see in my decor magazines or on the TV home shows is very sleek, modern, minimal decor or farmhouse. I understand the younger generation nowadays want easier and less home care. We downsized and simplified somewhat when we had to move into a modern ranch house in 2001. I do like the galvanized tin, farmhouse look I am seeing everwhere and do buy some of it. Is anyone else feeling so very outdated by having "brown" furniture or kitchen cabinets? We are too old and set in our ways to get rid of all we accumluated over the years and I cannot bring myself to paint antique furniture even though it seems to be the fad now. They went through a time of doing that in the 1950's. And ideas on how to bring my style into a more current look?

"We are too old and set in our ways to get rid of all we accumluated over the years..." Really? We retired when we were 60, had a lot of "stuff" and tons of furniture. Our new home was smaller and we had to downsize. I gave away and sold all of our old belongings and we started out fresh. I surely wouldn't leave all accumulated stuff from years past to my family to dispose of after I'm gone.  

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

My home is my haven. I need to change it up and love trends. My favorite stores are the Marshall's, HomeGoods, TJMaxx, one can really re- new your home for very little money spent. I need change, can't look at the same stuff for years. I have all different color furniture, some new, some I've had but I don't do the 'dated' look. 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

I 'm with you on painting antiques. Have you considered furniture covers for some of your pieces? I did this to an old chair and it really made a difference. I would add some color with throw pillows and some accent pieces. I like unique color glass or accent furniture or small pedestals. You didn't mention what window coverings you have but adding a sheer in a color or just white can freshen up a room. Lighting can make a difference. Do you have some flameless lanterns or sconces? They come in every material from plastic, metal, wood, glass, etc.? Hope one of these works.  

Esteemed Contributor

Much of my home is furnished from the local consignment shop.  Yep, a lot of that old but generally well-crafted stuff.

I do have some "modern" pieces thrown in there, but nothing was purchased as a set with the exception of a few matching chairs and I think it looks "new" because it's my own assemblage.

I do change up pillows, throws, candles, plants, etc.  Even new potholders can make a difference.  The house is celebrating it's 30th year.  Some would say the colors are on the somber side, but I find it cozy, and in keeping with the design of the original build.

I especially like to use surprising shots of color in unexpected combinations, like when you round a hidden corner and WOW!

Have fun decorating.   I love "modern", too, but that's just not my house.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

When I said brown furniture some posters thought I meant the upholstered furniture is brown. My upholstry has colors, but my concern is the way brown tables, end tables, nightstands, etc. is brown (walnut, oak.) Mine are antiques, such as library tables, coffee tables, dining table, etc.The antique dealers on the road show say "brown" furniture is  way down in price. I think if I were in the position of starting over, I would do away with it also and just go with easy to care for and less valuable furniture in the long run, than try to keep antiques up. In time, the pendulum will swing the other way and brown furniture will be appreciated again. But, woe is me, I guess we will live with it and appreciate its history. With all the spring colors I brought out this weekend, they did brighten my outlook with my home.