Trusted Contributor

Best Way To Clean Vintage Oak?

Hello, everyone!  Today I purchased a beautiful vintage oak table and four chairs.  I have been eyeing this set for awhile now.  I purchased it at a local resale shop, and was so happy to see that they marked it 30% off just this morning!  The table needs a light cleaning ~ nothing drastic, just needs a little bit of something and I'm not sure what.  Could any of you please tell me the best way to clean this?  Is there a certain product I should buy?  It's a vintage piece so I would like something gentle to use on it.  Thanks very much!

Respected Contributor

Re: Best Way To Clean Vintage Oak?

I would go to a furniture store and see if they have any products or suggestions.

Honored Contributor

I have many antiques and almost all are mission style red oak. Generally I wash with a mild soap and warm water if all they need is cleaning. If the finish is still intact I then just use a good furniture paste wax  - if the finish is bad they have to be stripped and refinished. I use a very mild soap to wash - something I would wash my skin with, like a shower gel or a baby shampoo and don't make the solution too strong.I figure just like my skin - there are oils in the wood I don't want to remove. Also don't let it sit wet - wring out your cloth well so it doesn't leave water lying on the wood and dry it immediately. Oak will absorb water quickly and it raises the grain , which then requires a lot of sanding to rectify. Good luck with your project.

Esteemed Contributor

Make sure that you don't have some type of polyurethane finish on the tabletop, first. Poly can get dirty & start to yellow. If there's poly, you'll have to strip it to clean your wood.

If you're sure there's no protective finish, use either Formby's Furniture Cleaner if it's nasty or Guardsman makes a cleaner/polish combo if the top just needs surface dirt removed.

Frequent Contributor

Check with an antique dealer.  When I had an antique store I used Golden Oil on all my oak furniture and walnut furniture.  I don't remember where I purchased it since  I have been out of the business for at least 15 years.   It is an orange oil that is a wood furniture conditioner and polish.  Please don't use Pledge or any of those furniture waxes they sell at the grocery.  If you want to use a wax I used New Life Wood Moisturizer which has a super refined beeswax.

Honored Contributor

A furniture refinisher once told me to use a fine grade of steel wool to clean an antique bedroom set.  Of course he said that after I declined at his $2000 estimate to refinish the set, so you might not want to take this advice.😉

Honored Contributor

This will be a process.   Start with the least invasive, easiest - mild soap & water.   Then look at it again and see what else it might need.

Save the more extreme choices for down the road if nothing else helps.

It doesn't have to be perfect.

@Julie928 wrote:

Hello, everyone!  Today I purchased a beautiful vintage oak table and four chairs.  I have been eyeing this set for awhile now.  I purchased it at a local resale shop, and was so happy to see that they marked it 30% off just this morning!  The table needs a light cleaning ~ nothing drastic, just needs a little bit of something and I'm not sure what.  Could any of you please tell me the best way to clean this?  Is there a certain product I should buy?  It's a vintage piece so I would like something gentle to use on it.  Thanks very much!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an oak table/chairs, buffet and coffee table that are over 35 yrs. old.  I've been using Regency Gold polish (made in the UK).  It takes off the old polish, dirt, etc.  I just checked HSN because that's where I purchased it and it's gone from their inventory.  They do have a website.   It was 2 bottles for $29.95 at HSN.  Maybe they're just out of it now.

Trusted Contributor

Scott's Liquid Gold Wood Care Fresh Almond Scent 10oz

@Julie928I have used this product for years on my antiques. I would never use soap and water, no matter how gentle. Use a soft rag like an old t-shirt. Spray on the cloth then rub down the table. It takes very little to clean it.

Honored Contributor

Go to a wood shop.  They sell wood cleaning products as well as stain. True hardware shops also have them.  Minwax used to do a wonderful cleaning kit.

I have always used Old English Lemon Oil on all of my antiques, many of which are 120-150 years old.  It's like moisturizer and will soak in over a few hours.

DH and I were taken under the wing of an antiques dealer when we were in our 20's.  I reminded him of the wife he lost to cancer.  He taught us everything he knew.