Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy an eclectic look in a polished casual decor. I only have one night stand and like to use a simple, wooden chair on the other side of the bed to sit books, coffee cup, etc. Plenty of lighting in the room. Inherited my grandmother's dining table and couldn't decide on chairs so I bought 6 different chairs that I like. Kept telling my husband -- it's okay. It works. Has anyone noticed the term, vintage chic? Is that another term for shabby chic? If not, what is the difference?    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Unless a room is extremely large, I don't care for the look of two bedside tables (we call them night stands around here!).

We only have one in the master and one in my son's room. And they match the chest of drawers in each room. 

I often don't care for the matchy matchy look in living room/family room furniture, and sometimes not in the dining room either. But I often like the looks of all the bedroom furniture coming from the same 'set'. 

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I have always had a bedside table, I have an air cleaner on top and I cannot imagine not having one it makes a huge difference in the quality of my breathing, and then the drawer is filled with different medications I might have to take during the night, for me it is a necessity not so much for decorating.

@CareBears  Would love to know what brand your air cleaner is.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@cookie16

We must have similar bedroom furniture. My full bedroom set is 43 yrs old - dark/light oak. My queen bed has oak spindles on the headboard - and matches the large mirror (also has spindles on the top) which is over my triple dresser. Plus - I have a matching hutch with several drawers and 2 matching nightstands on either side of my bed. The set is gorgeous and the quality is the best. I never get tired of it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bedside Tables

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi

I love the idea using my extra nightstand as end tables. I inherited the furniture when I bought this house - love the coastal/cottage style.

The big problem is my guest room has a brand new CA King Bed (came with house) which is much to big for the room. I thought since the bed is comfy perhaps I'd take the end tables (to the bedroom set) and use as end tables. Then I would get smaller tables for near the bed.

image.jpgThis is the end table & here is the end table in my den which would probably blend in. What do you think? (I have end tables on order but if I can save $870 I'd use bedroom one). Does it look to bedroom? 

IMG_6356.JPG

Thank you for your input.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Desertdi

I love the idea using my extra nightstand as end tables. I inherited the furniture when I bought this house - love the coastal/cottage style.

The big problem is my guest room has a brand new CA King Bed (came with house) which is much to big for the room. I thought since the bed is comfy perhaps I'd take the end tables (to the bedroom set) and use as end tables. Then I would get smaller tables for near the bed.

image.jpgThis is the end table & here is the end table in my den which would probably blend in. What do you think? (I have end tables on order but if I can save $870 I'd use bedroom one). Does it look to bedroom? 

IMG_6356.JPG

Thank you for your input.

@homedecor1    Save your money!    The two separate items will go together very well.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Bedside Tables

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi

thank you I know what I'll be doing tomorrow - trying them in the den.

i know to replace the bed maybe a mistake (was thinking doing a day or Murphy bed system).

I have smaller mission style end tables in there now (den). 

Thank you again im excited to see what they'll look like - may even decide on the ones in my master they are a little plain. (There's nothing in them but flashlight and tissues!) this is the room I want to use them in - replacing the mission ones.

IMG_6371.JPG

Valued Contributor

@cookie16your tables sound like ours, we also have several books that we are reading..our little "nests"

Honored Contributor

I have never had matching bedside tables or lamps.  I don't have matching end tables in the living room either.  I've bought each piece individually or used inherited pieces.  My mother never was matchy matchy in her decorating either, so that's how I was taught.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

For the first 37 years of married life we only had one nightstand and it was on my dh side of the bed. I've never had one! But when we moved 18 months ago we ditched all of our old furniture and bought new. This time around we did get 2 nightstands. Yay! I now have a table and drawers to keep all of my stuff! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"