Honored Contributor

Re: Bathroom Remodel Question

@Reever wrote:

Comments:

what is a comfort height toilet? Never heard of that.

what are safety bars and why are they important ?

by removing the tub aren't you worried you will decrease the resale value of your home? A realtor told me never to take a tub out of a home. Buyers want a tub.

A comfort height toilet is ADA compliant.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Comments:

what is a comfort height toilet? Never heard of that.

what are safety bars and why are they important ?

by removing the tub aren't you worried you will decrease the resale value of your home? A realtor told me never to take a tub out of a home. Buyers want a tub.

A comfort height toilet is ADA compliant.

@CelticCrafter -  A comfort height toilet is a little higher than normal.  It makes it easier for people like me with bad knees.  Safety bars are just bars in the tub/shower area to hold onto.  I use ours a lot.

We decided on no tub because we both have bad knees and cannot get down to take a bath.  And, we hope to be here for a ling time.

Respected Contributor

Some ideas for making bathrooms work better without spending $$$$$$$ :

1). Placed a second shower rod  on top of the long back wall of the tub to hand wet towels, drip dry clothes, or clothes to finish air drying after a few minutes in the dryer.  The rod simply rolls forward along the top of the tile.  ( if no tile, install a plastic strip of wood to parallel top of tile area.)

2). Keep a plastic stool in a tub so you can still shower with more safety.  Install the type shower head that can slide down a pole to adjust to your sitting height.  There are some types that have both overhead and adjustable height heads....not very expensive.

3). Install a towel rod at the far end of the tub for wet towels to keep room looking neat.

4). Replace over the shower head " tub shelving " with new ones that can accommodate wider and more shelves for products as well as hooks for washcloths. ( if cloths don't have hooks, simply sew one on. )

5). Use an attractive or vintage umbrella holder to store several rolls of toilet paper.....neater, less papery dust to clean.

6). Replace single towel rack with a rack that holds two towels.

7). If there's room on a wall above counter, install hotel-like double or triple shelving rack for bath and hand towels: makes a nice display, accent colors, frees up spaces in  closet.image.jpg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

You could put up some 3M hooks that don't require holes to hold your cloths and things.
Honored Contributor

When we built our place we had marble robe hooks installed inside our tiled shower specifically for hanging our washclothes. So glad we did. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

The 3m hooks are great for the shower.

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

When we built our place we had marble robe hooks installed inside our tiled shower specifically for hanging our washclothes. So glad we did.

ID2,

I can't picture your hook. Is it 1 marble tile with the hook integrated into it to blend with the corresponding tile?  I, too, am remodeling but am undecided about converting the tub into a shower. Builder told me the cast iron tub would need to be sawed in half Smiley Surprised to remove it since the doors in the house are so narrow. Good thing I love to soak in it sometimes because I'm not really ready to lay out that unGodly fee to remove the tub.

Sometimes, though, I would love a curbless shower. 

dee

I Heart the poster's pic of her vintage tile.  

Super Contributor

Can't answer your questionn about wet wash rags, but...FYI - As I get older, I have considered converting the tub to a shower only, but found out that in my area there are codes that state you must have at least one bathtub in your home - never knew that.

Esteemed Contributor

I just had my shower stall tiled inside and out --- I have a large niche for my shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap and bar soap. I have a 24" grab bar attached below the niche - I keep my washcloth on that. I had tall frameless glass shower doors installed (almost up to the ceiling) with a towel rack on the front. After I take a shower, I put the towel on the towel rack to dry. One side of the shower stall sits on my bathtub - so I had the tub surround and wall above the tub tiled as well. Gorgeous!!!!!