Honored Contributor

Re: BEACH COTTAGE ON THE EDGE OF BRITAIN

Places like this are charming and moody, but I'd go bonkers about 9 hours into the thing because I'd be looking for something to see or do. 

Respected Contributor

I love almost every inch of this cottage, inside and out.

The almost part is because of the bathroom.

Honored Contributor

It looks very cozy and boy what a view!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY,  I'm sorry I don't get DABL,  that show sounds very good!

It's true about the isolation, @Sooner ,  but for relatively short stretches of "getting away from it all",  it would be ideal, to me.  Besides, with Bude nearby,  surely there'd be antique shops, tea shops, jolly pubs, etc. not far away, ha.

Hubby was another voice of reason like yours-- he admired the images when I showed him, but then he said-- what would you do when some big sea squall blew over?!

And it's true, the Atlantic side of Cornwall is supposed to be windy and wild!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@ROMARY,  I'm sorry I don't get DABL,  that show sounds very good!

It's true about the isolation, @Sooner ,  but for relatively short stretches of "getting away from it all",  it would be ideal, to me.  Besides, with Bude nearby,  surely there'd be antique shops, tea shops, jolly pubs, etc. not far away, ha.

Hubby was another voice of reason like yours-- he admired the images when I showed him, but then he said-- what would you do when some big sea squall blew over?!

And it's true, the Atlantic side of Cornwall is supposed to be windy and wild!

@Oznell I'd be looking out the window wondering where the slasher was too maybe. . . and the storm Woman SurprisedWoman EmbarassedWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Perfect.  I love everything about it.

Valued Contributor

@ROMARY  I also very much enjoy the British TV show "Escape to the Country" on DABL. I love learning about the local industry and  local history of the different counties they visit in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland while they search for a home in the country. "Escape to the Country" is soooo much better than the house hunting shows they have on HGTV which I've stopped watching after discovering "Escape to the Country" early last year. I always like it when they can take a tour of an old country estate or a beautiful old church. The countryside in the UK is beautiful.

@Oznell , if you get Amazon Prime on your TV, they have one season of "Escape to the Country" which I believe is season 22 from 2015. You can do a search for "Escape to the Country" and it should come up. I think you would like this show. What is amazing to me as an American is how old some of these country cottages are - I think the oldest one I remember dated back to around the 1450's. Of course many of them are added on to and updated over the years but it goes to show you they were built to last! Also, they don't seem to tear things down and start over like we might over here - there are many barns converted to homes and old chapel converted to homes that they show. Also, some old English country estates have been purchased by developers and converted to several homes/apartments that people can buy. You can also watch episodes of "Escape to the Country" on youtube. I think I enjoy this show too because I feel sort of a kinship to England because in doing genealogy research I've discovered that some of my ancestors come from the counties of Wiltshire and Hampshire. After watching this show I really would love to be able to visit England someday.

Honored Contributor

would love this cozy, cute cottage for a nice get away for a week or two or 3........lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   What stunning views and such a wonderful little cottage.  It appears to be a comfortable cozy cottage surrounded by things someone loves and that's the best place to be!

Honored Contributor

Great tip, @cimeranrose !   I can't remember if I tried to find that show before, in vain.  I will get help this time from more electronic-savvy family members!

All those characteristics you mention of super old English cottages are so accurate, and so beguiling.  I too love that they adapt them, rather than starting new.  Youtuber Nicolas Fairford lives in an old Edinburgh apartment now, but he used to live in a part of one of those huge old houses in the country, which had been turned into several condos or dwellings-- dreamy.