Respected Contributor

The " stricter " policy is only common sense:  you need the receipt for a returned item because it will show whether or not  (or which item) you received a discount. Then the appropriate credit refund will be given.    That is just fair:  I think a lot of folks took unfair advantage of them.

Most times their in-store customer service was outstanding (99%).

Their coupon in December made the purchase of the rechargeable Dyson an exceptional bargain.  I would not have bought it otherwise.

Their merchandise selection was always better than the now defunct Linens 'n Things:  we had both within a 5-minute drive.

Coupon policy will impact sales:  the new Chico's policy of not accepting a coupon on sale or clearance merchandise has caused me to walk out of stores without making a purchase.  

My wardrobe and casual jewelry, as well as gifts, all had Chico labels --- but since I do not "need" an item, back on the rack it goes.  This habit becomes easier the more frequently you practice it.    

If they would check on their former best customers' spending habits, they would see the profit impact on their bottom line.  It seems that they do not care:  I have heard customers complain at the checkout counter and all the cashier can say is that this is headquarters new policy.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Re: BBB 20% off coupon

[ Edited ]

If they are in fact going to change up or discontinue their 20% coupon policy, it will definitely impact the amount of items I purchase there.  I have only a small order history with them, but every time I have purchased, I used 20% off.  I did price comparisons and they had the best final price on a Shark Rotator Pro Lift-Away, on the microfiber replacement pads for it, on a particular Calphalon pot I wanted, clearance Luminara outdoor candles, and so on.  Most shoppers know when something's a deal or not, and will choose to shop wherever they can get the deal.   

Respected Contributor

If they limit or discontinue the 20% coupons, I  suspect they will see a drop in sales and wouldn't be surprised then if the coupons came back again after that.  But yes, they could enforce the expiration date if they really feel like they need more control over when they want to offer discounts.

Honored Contributor

Coming back to add a comment, if BBB does away with the coupons, will they add some kind of sale program like other stores do?  Their prices are not that competitive without a coupon.

They will need something to keep the customer coming through the doors

Or scale back the coupons, before Christmas I was getting 2 or so a week,

The stores in my area are very well staffed, to a point of annoying. 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think that rumor has been around for years.  It keeps coming up because BB&B, in quarterly earnings reports, often cites "increased coupon usage" to explain lower earnings.  And, who knows, BB&B may itself start the rumors in order to get people into its stores and buying things before the coupons disappear for good.

lower earrings could be explained by their purchases of Christmas Tree, Harmon, Buy Buy Baby, Sierra and World Market.  That's of lot of businesses to gobble up and maintain.