Valued Contributor

Do you use area rugs on top of carpet, or only on hardwood /tile floors?  I have wall to wall carpeting, except in kitchen and foyer.  A friend told me area rugs on carpet was not a good look.   Would love your opinions !

Thanks for your replies!  Have a great weekend!

Honored Contributor

@barb40 

When I had wall to wall light beige carpeting, I had patternred rugs.  They helped to break up the "vanilla" look of the previous owner and defined the space in the "open concept" first floor.  

Respected Contributor

@barb40   

I have tile throughout my house, and do use area rugs.  But, my parents had carpeting, and put oriental rugs over the carpeting. Rugs add interest and color to a room.  If you have a low-pile carpet, you shouldn't have an issue with area rugs.  If you have a shag carpet, well, I'm not so sure!  LOL

It's all about what makes YOU happy!  

Respected Contributor

I was wondering the same thing several months ago and posted here. I was told by Regal Bee that it was ok so I did. I really do like the look, it adds to the room.

Honored Contributor

To put a rug on top of a rug/carpet has always been a decorator's faux pas but I think you should do what you like in your own home.

Growing up, we had hardwood floors, with an area rug.

I only use area rugs, but not on carpet,  because I don't like the look, personally.   Not because it's a "rule".

Honored Contributor

Outside of rugs at every entrance, there are no other rugs in this house.  Not a fan of rugs, or the fall risk they pose for my husband and I.   

Esteemed Contributor

I use on both my hard surface floors and the wall to wall. The ones I use on top of the wall to wall in the family room are where the dogs like to lay and where the patio door is located. I also have a scalloped rug that I use to define a reading area.  

Super Contributor

I would say many people use area rugs on carpeting, because you can buy a matting to use under throw rugs on carpeting and a different type to matting sold to use under area rugs on hard surface 

Honored Contributor

When we re-did our living room a few years ago we went with solid fabrics so I thought the best way to bring some color into the room would be to add an area rug on top of the wall to wall.

I don't think it lasted a month, no matter what I did it would not stay put even with the heavy, filled cedar chest coffee table on top of it.  It would start to creep and skew making me crazy.  I had to take it up.

Honored Contributor

I have a an 5x8 rug on top of wall to wall in the living room.  My neighbor is a home stager.  I had her help arrange the furniture and she dragged the rug from the entry in front of the couch.  I liked the look and kept it there.  Give it a try.