Honored Contributor

Re: Are you an "over all eyeballer" or a "detail nitpicker"....

Both. I get an overall impression of the gestalt and then I look at details. Whether or not I like a room is usually based on my impression of the big picture.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

First look usually tells me right away whether I like it; dominant color, heavy, old furniture style, wallpaper, decor everywhere, throws, rugs and pillows are an instant NO!  

Some rooms are fixable by taking out the above, as I am a minimalist and just want basics in a room, no fluff.   

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon 

When I look for rooms or spaces to post here, I focus on the vibe.  Sometimes if there is something "curious" I will post a picture and ask people to focus on that ONE detail.

What I have noticed in my experience here, is that there are several posters who either cannot do the vibe or detail, or they will pick apart every picture, as if they were eviscerating roadkill.  So if I ask, do the chocolate brown walls space work in this powder room, for example, someone will start talking about how they can't get over the knobs on the vanity so they don't answer the question.  Or if there is a piece of art, and I ask if the frame works on that particular art piece, then they will say that the light fixture is ugly or the wall color makes them ill.  

This to me is VERY interesting, because all the real estate shows will say that buyers will purchase a staged home more quickly than an empty home, that they cannot visualize the purpose of the room, if it's not staged that way.  A third bedroom cannot be an office, in their mind, unless they see it staged with office furniture that way.  My BF is one of those people.  When we changed out the entire house of flooring at one time, light carpeting to brown ceramic wood tone flooring, I know he was not able to "see" what it would look like until the entire floor was put down.  The same goes for the sofa that we just ordered.  When it arrives, I am sure that he will say how "blue" it is, because he only saw a swatch of the fabric.  Now, he does not look at pictures of design like people do here, but I do think that are several posters who when touring a house for sale, would not be able to purchase any home because of the furnishings or decor that they encounter in the home- they simply cannot "overlook" them to look at the "bones" of the house.  They would have to build a custom home, because they do not like anything but what they like- period.

These are just my observations, since you asked.  Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono  Thank you for your well thought out,  and detailed analysis of my question!  I totally agree with you about how some here answer questions.  I also agree that the staging business exists because of the way some people's brains work.

I'm not criticizing anyone, just pointing out differences.

Honored Contributor

I also really like your question, @faeriemoon .   I would say I do both, but am overwhelmingly (perhaps to a fault) an "overall mood" person, rather than someone who zeroes in on details right away.  Perhaps it's a sort of "cinematic" way of taking in a room, or maybe just a near-sighted way, ha. 

If the "mood" they are going for is right, I overlook individual elements that are not something I would pick, like a certain color or style of object.  It's not that I don't end up analyzing all elements, or don't necessarily have quibbles about them-- in some cases, strong feelings AGAINST them--- but if they somehow work in an overall context that I like and deem effective or interesting, then that's OK.  It's the 'gestalt' thing!

Esteemed Contributor

Both........ It's a gift and a curse.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Great question, @faeriemoon 

I find myself, as many of you, doing both -- depending on the image.

@lolakimono , your analysis is spot-on. Well done. 

And @hopi , too funny!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Usually, when looking at pictures on this forum, I'm an overall eyeballer.  But in my personal life with my own home I'm an extreme, over the top detail nitpicker.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mostly an "over all eyeballer".  Even if I do nitpick sometimes......... I usually go with my first gut feeling when I see the room presented.