Super Contributor

Re: Anyone wish they could go back to the good old days??

On 2/12/2015 suzeecat said:

I work in a law office. When I started (30 yrs. ago) every attorney had their own secretary. This was before computers. When computers came, everyone was spouting off about a "paperless" office and how much more efficient we would be. Secretaries now work for 3-4 attorneys and have tons more paperwork and computer glitches up the you-know-what. Some things are definitely better, but overall life is much more complicated. I wouldn't miss computers at work and the internet one bit. One thing I don't miss is waiting in long lines at the bank drive-thru to cash my paycheck every payday (before auto-deposit and ATMs and debit cards).

I had a momentary flashback the other day while driving and I heard a car horn. It reminded me of being in high school and sitting on my front porch. When a friend drove by, they would honk to say hi. Now when I hear a car horn it's someone who's angry.

This is funny. I am a lawyer and I remember those days when we did not have access to computers (the staff had them) and everything had to go to a secretarial pool. Not good. If you were junior or an assistant (aka secretary) had something against you (the case with many female lawyers. Sorry, but it is true.) your work was last in line.

Valued Contributor

A big YES!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/12/2015 imaclotheshog said:

I don't know, there are some things I miss. Not everything was good back then but there was a lot that was very good.

I remember TWA! The first time I ever flew on a plane with my parents, we flew to visit relatives on a TWA flight. It was so exciting! Everyone dressed up to fly on a plane back then. My father wore a suit, and my mother wore a nice dress and hat. I wore a dress that I usually only wore on Sundays. It was a big deal to fly back then and it was -- dare I say it-- luxurious compared to today! The stewardesses were so polite and chic.

I think people respected each other more and helped each other more. There seemed to be more unity in communities. People took pride in their appearances more, and things were more simple. There was a lot more tradition back then. People watched out for each other. So yes there was a lot of good back then.

Ita! I love Erma Bombeck too..!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Frequent Contributor

emmysmom- I'm with you! I grew up in the same time period. Kids today are always "plugged in," playing outside is a thing of the past, reading a book (those things that were on our bookshelves) is going away. Remember when we had to use an encyclopedia or dictionary and you'd come across something that you weren't even looking for, and your interest was sparked?

Oh well, life goes on.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Those years were truly wonderful for some. I grew up in the same era, but we had very little money - fortunately, for many years I was pretty much unaware of that fact.

Still I wouldn't go back. Although I was pretty much unaware then, now I know how hard those years were for my parents. Yes, my neighborhood was safe and I don't remember going hungry (our back steps were even used for my mother to feed some of the homeless who were right there in our little town even them), I always had enough clothes although many were hand-me-downs or make-overs my mother contrived from her thrift shop finds, and my parents paid for my college tuition (not the rest of my expenses) for three of my four undergrad years.

In other words, nothing was awful - but nostalgia for those years? Only because I had more of my own family near me than I do nowadays. People - not the times, not the places.

Honored Contributor

These are my good old days!!! I don't do a lot of looking back and I don't own a pair of rose colored glasses. The good old days were never as good as people want to believe they were.

Super Contributor

And 30 - 40 years from now, the kids of today will be wistfully saying, "Remember the good ol days?".

These are the "good ol days" for today's kids.

Super Contributor

On 2/12/2015 chrystaltree said:

These are my good old days!!! I don't do a lot of looking back and I don't own a pair of rose colored glasses. The good old days were never as good as people want to believe they were.

Exactly. For a lot of people, the 50's weren't exactly good to them.

Super Contributor

While I agree the world is crazy, I don't want to go back to the "good old days." They were not as good as we remember. Do you rememer segretation? Women not being respected in the work place, if they could get a job at all? My own mother tried to go back to work after having me (my father had died and she had to work to support me) and they had given her job to someone else, and she had to start over trying to find work somewhere else.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Super Contributor

A-h-h-h-h!! The good ole' 50's and 60's. Girdles, ironing every Saturday because everything had to be starched, poodle skirts and crinolines, painful shoes, skirts and hose to school - pants not allowed, mothers cooking, then cleaning up, three times a day because there wasn't microwaves and dishwashers, no air conditioning in house or car, party line phones, heavy smokers everywhere, especially in restaurants. Many diseases had no medicine or procedure to cure or improve them, I knew several children my age who contracted polio, measles, etc. I knew older people who suffered terribly from arthritis, diabetes, broken down knees, asthma, heart problems and other medical problems that now they could have found either relief or a way to manage and control it to live a better life.

My Dad worked in a factory and my Mom sold Avon to help financially, so we didn't have a pool or get to travel the world. No, I wouldn't go back.