Super Contributor

Re: Any plans for updating your yard this year?

HOA covers landscaping and common area gardens. I'm on a top thrid floor, tired of dragging buckets of water out to my deck. have always had lots of gertaniums. no more. 

switched over to garden spheres (ordered 3 sets in seasonal colors, and 4 garden reflection 'baskets'. the baskets were too small to hang (supposedly 14"), so I put two each in long plastic planters. voila! 

looks great and real even as I sit on my couch abut 6 feet from the 'plants'. neighbors admiring my 'flowers'. LOL everything looks great among lots of other garden decor. 

Honored Contributor

I moved to a new house in late December, 55+ community and they take care of the yard.  Oh happy day!

The only thing I've done.....and all that I plan to do.....is last week I replaced 3 tiny Carissa holly bushes that the builder planted. which would some day be huge and prickly, with 3 small gardenias which won't. 

I plan to do nothing else. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Nope.  We spent a gazillion dollars last year, the yard was dug up and drainage repaired, leveled and sod put in, huge tree gone in front and ard dug up and sodded there where it had been sodded the year before.  I hope no more this year! 

Honored Contributor

I have two trellis that I dug out the plants that grew up them last year.  I have to find something to plant on each one.  Its been really cool and very rainy here so not sure when I will be able to dig in the dirt...it's clay, just horrible to work in.

Last year we spent  plenty of money having the front yard relandscaped. So no big project this year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  Yes. As a matter of fact we had an early morning appointment with a landscaper today. We had to pull about 5 bushes in the last couple of years....all out front.  They lasted us many years but had seen better years and they were  getting overly big. 

Also adding 3 hydrangea bushes under an ornamental tree at other end of house. They will bury some pots for planting flowers and replace all the bushes along the garage with buried pots between them, too. We need new edger  to hold in our stone, too.We are waiting the call for an estimate.  I'm thinking around three or four thousand dollars.  DH is thinking more like two thousand. It will be interesting to see how much.  We are in our 70's and feel this will probably be our last big hurrah as far as landscaping goes so we are willing to pay more than we normally would. We feel it would help with resale of our home if it would come to that.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I actually want to hire a landscaper to do my front yard. I did it myself 5 years ago then we had heavy rain around 2-3 years ago and everything died and the grass grew over everything and now it’s too much work.

i have my Lillie’s but that’s about it

Trusted Contributor

Laid down a lot of river rock - so glad that job is over.

Valued Contributor

People either love gardening or hate it, with the in-between going for a hoa or older folks communities where they do no work but have a few plants or builder grade new construction bushes.

I love gardening & bought a few plants, rose bushes & climbing vines to add to my yard for this year so far. Most of the yard is "done" except for a back garden that's still a work in progress. I lost a decent size hydrangea this past winter I need to replace w something else. I have a few spots where I put annuals each year too in window boxes & planters.

I can't imagine looking outside & seeing nothing of color or just dirt/rocks and grass or indescript bushes. It's calming to look at or be outside & see all the different blooms & foliage that change from Spring to Fall (I live in a 4 season climate). And the critters that enjoy it too!!

I do it all myself!
Honored Contributor

Yes!

We're moving in to our new home permanently next month.  We have plans for a front porch to be built (an afterthought!) so we'll have to have a beautiful Crepe Myrtle moved (professionally as it's matured).  So the landscaping will have to be done over completely.  Not the end of the world!  

Our front yard is small, and only a speck of grass, but lots of shrubs.

Everything in the front yard is either purple or green.  It will remain that way after the re-do.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I plan to do some work at the lake this year.  I think I may put in a retaining wall.  We have moved some pretty big shrubs out of the way so we are ready.  Contractors are very busy here and hard to get.  I think the work will probably be done in the Fall.

I have been busy in the garden.  We are receiving a shrub order Saturday...8 rhodos and azaleas so we will be busy.  I have revamped some parts of the garden.  After 17 years here, some garden updates are necessary.  

I am loving being out again.  It has been rainy and cold during April but that suited my purpose.  Mother Nature did my watering for me.  LM