Honored Contributor

Re: Any Tricks To Make A Room Look Larger?

@SilleeMee smaller scale furniture has helped. I repurposed some small end tables to replace traditional nightstands. After I retired, I had more time to take a critical look at each room. I then purchased smaller scale recliners for the living room and decided our guest room needed a full size bed as the only overnight guest we have is my single BIL.

Honored Contributor

I was told by my kitchen & bath contractor that a larger size tile makes a bathroom look bigger.

They just finished the tile install and are cleaning up now and my bathroom looks the same size to me ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I agree with large mirrors, especially wall to wall such as over a bathroom counter, over a mantle, in an entry hall, wherever it is possible to have one installed.

Honored Contributor

When my sister moved back here a couple of years ago, I went with her to see a couple of houses.

I have always been interested in House Hunting, anyway I noticed in a couple of them they had such big, bulky furniture. The room sizes weren't tiny, but they weren't super large either, but with the bulky large furniture, the rooms looked a lot smaller.

Also De-Clutter, that is a big one......I also like the idea of mirrors, I have a large one in my living room and it does appear somewhat larger......

Lighter colored walls help make a room appear larger as well..... 

Esteemed Contributor

If you are using mirrors, it is nice if you can reflect a beautiful outdoor scene rather than staring at yourself as one poster noted.  Place across from a nice bright window.  You might also try reflecting a lovely lamp like a Tiffany.  LM

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Pull furniture away from the wall to create the illusion of depth.

@faeriemoon - we have to do that for the winter in the living room so we aren't blocking the heating vents and as much as I don't like it, it doesn't make the room feel closed in or look smaller.  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I agree with large mirrors, especially wall to wall such as over a bathroom counter, over a mantle, in an entry hall, wherever it is possible to have one installed.

My townhouse has mirrors that are the exact length of the vanity, from the top of the vanity to the ceiling.

I am redecorating now and am toying with the idea of removing them.  Part of me thinks it will make the room look bigger with most of the wall being exposed.  But I'm not sure.

I have until Nov. 12 to decide.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Really good suggestions here!

Choose one room to work on at a time and focus on that room.

Declutter is #1- and it's free!. If possible, remove everything from the room. This is a good time to paint the walls a shade of white (there are dozens!) and replace the flooring to a hard surface if the budget allows.

Fewer, larger prints/ wall decor. Same for a large mirror with an interesting frame.

Make every item earn it's way back into the room. Light window treatments.

Declutter again.

If all the suggestions on this thread do not help, then make the small room look "cozy". Layer in tall plants, rugs, pillows and throws and use warm or rich colors.

Esteemed Contributor

Use lighter (color and weight) curtains instead of heavy drapes with swags on top; white or off-white blinds rather than darker colors; furniture that is in scale to a smaller room. The over-sized sectional couches look fine in the large open homes, but make a normal sized room seem over-done and small. Also, glass topped tables in the kitchen and LR; remove or pare down large collections of "stuff" hung on small wall shelves as well as a lot of small items grouped together on a wall. A large, light colored print with coordinated frame or large mirror makes it look like there is more wall space. Remove or pare down small collections on LR end tables or coffee table; wood floors with a large area rug rather than darker wall to wall carpet. Some bare walls - not every wall needs something hung on it! Now I need to go and reevaluate my LR!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Fressa wrote:

I have found that fewer but larger scaled pieces of furniture helps. You need to be able to see the floor space under some furniture pieces small or large. Mirrors or a glass accents that can reflect light helps. 

Exactly. Smaller pieces do not make a room look larger. That said, oversize pieces that don't work in a room are also not a good idea. A full size sofa is one thing a large sectional is something altogether different.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...