Honored Contributor

Re: Any Tricks To Make A Room Look Larger?

[ Edited ]

Well, the only thing I can add to all the other ideas is what I had to do "de-clutter" by getting rid of things that took up space -- I cleared most of the rooms out and now I have minimal pieces of furniture and have to say the rooms do look bigger.

I think I had so many pictures, flower arrangements, and knick knacks everywhere -- that instead of seeing the size of the room the eye went to all the "stuff".

Now, if only I could par down my seasonal decor (mostly Fall/Christmas) then for sure I'd be happy camper!  

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the replies so will probably be repeating a lot of what others have already said.

Buy furniture that you can see under. You already figured that out with your sofa.

Choose light colors. In flooring, upholstery and window coverings. Avoid a lot of prints. In my mind, busy equals crowded.

In general, put less stuff in a room. Less furniture, less wall art, less layers of things (less rugs over carpet or hard floors, fewer pillows and throws, less decor in general)

Choose lots of neutrals for fabrics in  the room. 

Make the room as light as possible by uncovering windows and adding lighting where needed. Dark corners make rooms seem smaller. 

Choose furniture the proper scale for the home/room. Big pieces, regardless of how beautiful, will shrink a room quickly.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Mominohio that pretty much sums it up. It's my living room I have trouble with; it's smaller than the kitchen and master bedroom. We do have a large family room in the lower level, but unless we have company, we use the smaller living room for the two of us.

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I have bare wood floors, and use no rugs other than inside the exterior doors and in front of the master bath shower. Bare floors not broken up by rugs give the feeling of more expanse.

@CAMOGIRL

Unfortunately, my little doggie slips and slides on our hardwoood floors so I have rugs everywhere. Thinking about investing in one large rug for the main living area as I have read that is better than lots of smaller rugs in terms of making a room look larger. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My homes are beach cottages, the rooms aren't really small, but I bet my living room is smaller than yours!

I paint the walls light colors, but also the trim, mouldings and even window sills the same color, but done in a satin finish.

If they were painted white or another complimentary color, it chops off the height and width of the room.  All one color gives the illusion of continuity.

I'm currently looking for the perfect glass top coffee table because a large wooden or metal one would chop off looking at the beautiful hardwood.

I purposely picked a light ash hardwood done with a natural finish in lieu of a dark stained floor throughout the home.  But you could pick out a nice, light neutral carpet, if you prefer floor coverings.