Honored Contributor

Any Tricks To Make A Room Look Larger?

I suppose my rooms are considered normal sized for a typical ranch home, but I wish they were bigger. Have you discovered any illusions to make a room look larger? When I was vacuuming, I pinned up the skirt on our sofa to reach under it, and when a little more floor was exposed, the area seemed larger. In the bedroom, I removed a patterned spread and put on an solid colored comforter (beige with a lighter colored pinstripe). Again, the room suddenly looked larger.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any Tricks To Make A Room Look Larger?

Lighter colors and mirrors have worked for me.  

Honored Contributor

Interesting about the solid bed covering vs. patterned.  I may have to try that.  The only suggestion I can contribute, and I suppose everyone knows this, is a mirror over the mantle.  I haven't done that myself, mainly because I don't want to be looking at myself whenever I walk into the room.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Mirror wall(s)

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

You mean instead of the stick of dynamite I want to enlarge my whole house??   Just kidding Man Surprised---My trick is to de- clutter the stuff--too much of the little things seems to enclose the room. Display your favs and then change them out when you need a change. I have been purging all the dust collectors I have and just using the things I really like. Still have alot more to do. 

Honored Contributor

Large mirrors on walls; agree with @Mz iMac

Honored Contributor

Also......light colored walls, not dark. Not panelling. 

Valued Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

You mean instead of the stick of dynamite I want to enlarge my whole house??   Just kidding Man Surprised---My trick is to de- clutter the stuff--too much of the little things seems to enclose the room. Display your favs and then change them out when you need a change. I have been purging all the dust collectors I have and just using the things I really like. Still have alot more to do. 

Love this idea!

Trusted Contributor

Not too much furniture.

Esteemed Contributor

A large picture framed and with glass.  Not a dark print but white/cream background with palms or something realistic and hung on adjoining wall where windows will beam daylight toward glass and add reflection.

21 x 30 is the size of my framed picture but might be too large for your room. 

Just a suggestion (I don't care for blank mirrors)