New Contributor

I recently bought 2 of the top filling Air Innovations humidifiers.  The filter that came with the units SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE TYPE USED IF YOU HAVE    HARD WATER.  The filters that came with the units caused a white film on everything.  So I had to order NEW FILTERS to demineralize the water.  Buying distilled water IS NOT AN OPTION.                                                                                                                                                                      Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Air Innovations Humidifiers

I own 4 IH......I just checked the product page

on Q and it was always my understanding & confirmed that ...if you have hard water....you could buy the special filters for just under $20 (for two filters)

White dust 'happens' if too much mist is being released in a room.  Back down the amount and see if that helps. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnie will  I hope they work out for you.  I bought their humidifier years ago and stopped working when I had to refill with water so I mailed back and received a new one and had the same problem.  Never went back.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I had issues with the white dust (really just the minerals in the water of course) but oddly enough it was after using it for a full season and not cleaning it out good. I pulled it apart and cleaned it good and it stopped, but it took a long time to get that dirty and throwing dust.

I also was running it on full high mode, something that really probably wasn't necessary in the small bedroom I was using it in. 

I'm glad to have mine if we need it, but honestly I hate the space it takes up in the room, they are so big. I don't plan on using it on a regular basis because of the dust, the having to clean it out often and the space it takes. I guess I'll hang on to it just for if we get to feeling poorly and need it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have several of them that I used for years.Last year I stopped using them on a regular basis because no matter how often they were cleaned I had white dust everywhere. Now I will only use them if someone gets sick & needs the extra humidity.

I also bought a new home humidifier that's attached to my heating system.It was worth the $600. It kicks on every time my heat starts up.I change the filter once every season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The AI humidifiers can be fitted with two different kinds of filters. The one it comes with is a permanent type antibacterial filter... it does not remove minerals in hard water. The other kind are an optional purchase and those are disposable hard water (demineralizing) filters. When you use the hard water filters the humidifier does not remove bacteria because the filter is not antibacterial and it only removes minerals. The hard water filters are designed to last a maximum of 45 days if your water is not very hard. But if you have really hard water then the hard water filters will last fewer days than that. 

If you have very hard water then you may want to use distilled water. Replacing the hard water filters frequently will work but it will cost you.

Bottom line is if you don't want the white dust then you will either pay for DI water or pay for the filters to remove it....there's no other way around it.

Valued Contributor

That's the reason I bought an evaporative humidifier instead.  It doesn't produce dust and is easy to maintain through the winter.  The one I have keeps the living floor well humidified about 1200 square feet.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The AI humidifiers can be fitted with two different kinds of filters. The one it comes with is a permanent type antibacterial filter... it does not remove minerals in hard water. The other kind are an optional purchase and those are disposable hard water (demineralizing) filters. When you use the hard water filters the humidifier does not remove bacteria because the filter is not antibacterial and it only removes minerals. The hard water filters are designed to last a maximum of 45 days if your water is not very hard. But if you have really hard water then the hard water filters will last fewer days than that. 

If you have very hard water then you may want to use distilled water. Replacing the hard water filters frequently will work but it will cost you.

Bottom line is if you don't want the white dust then you will either pay for DI water or pay for the filters to remove it....there's no other way around it.

@SilleeMee , my first 2 AI humidifiers began leaking after a season of use.  I have very hard water and did not buy the special filters.  I now have 2 newer ones and have been using distilled water in them with no problems.  Today, I had to buy purified water instead of distilled because there seems to be a distilled water shortage in my store.  Two different stores and they were both out.  I do keep them in a large plant drip tray just in case though.

To be honest, I feel like the warm-mist humidifier provided by the room we rent on our ski trips works better for my sinuses than the cool mist.  The cool mist one works really well for getting my plants through the winter though.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I use both cool mist (AI) and also a warm mist (Honeywell) humidifiers together in the wintertime. The warm mist unit actually boils the water and gives off steam. I love that kind of humidity but that humidifier needs to be cleaned with vinegar often to remove scale build-up. What I like about steam from a heated unit is the steam is pure and has no bacteria and it never puts out dust. Cool mist humidifiers seem to make my floor cold because the mist sinks downward. Using both kinds of warm and cool humidifiers really gets the job done. I have a separate little hygrometer to let me know how high the humidity is in my house. I feel most comfortable when it's about 40 to 45%....that feels just right.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I've had good luck with my AIH from QVC, I bought 2 last Fall, the one died after I used it constantly all Winter, but the 2nd one is going strong this year. I run it 24/7 as soon as we turn the heat on and I think they are only warrantied for 1 year. I will have to look into the Honeywell warm mist humidifier.