Super Contributor

Advice needed for Sunroom Floor

I am in the process of having a home built in South Jersey, which will probably be my last home.  I chose Mannington Atlantis prestige Andean pecan in the tobacco color (a dark wood with beautiful shading) for the majority of the house.  I am thinking that maybe I shouldn't do hardwood in the sunroom.  The sunroom is right off the great room, with French doors on both sides.  The sunroom has many windows, and there will be a dual fireplace with white mantels in the great room/sunroom.  I am looking at travertine, and the cost is over $6,000 for the sunroom. I know many of u on this forum have great decorating ideas and am looking for suggestions.  Do I continue with the hardwood from the great room into the sunroom?  Thanking all in advance for any advice.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice needed for Sunroom Floor

Some things to ponder in your quest.

https://modernize.com/home-ideas/17732/sunroom-flooring

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

our sunroom is mostly all windows all around a domed glass ceiling. it is directly off of our family room which has hardwood floors. they are connected with no doors in between.....just a threshold. we have marble floors in our sunroom with an area rug on top of part of the floor. 

if you do choose hardwood, be aware that it will lighten up considerably more over time than what is in the great room. of course, you can then stain the hardwood and polish them again.

we have had to change out our area rug a few times due to fading.

hope you enjoy your sunroom as much as we do ours!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I would go the tile route.

Honored Contributor

One thing about a sunroom - is the change in temperature. With all the windows the sun might be a factor. I think the temperature change would cause problems with hardwood. 

But I must admit, I do know people that had hardwood in their sunroom with no problems. 

Another thing - will the sunroom be getting lots of traffic from the outside? I would steer toward tile. And maybe an area rug. 

I keep thinking of my cousin. She had her house remodeled. And her sunroom was a "quiet zone". She wanted a reading room. Well, along came grandkids and it is now their playroom. 

But then my friend had a sunroom off of their formal living room. It was a bit formal and had carpeting. The kids lived in that room and bypassed the formal living room.

Also, you are in South Jersey. Is your house near the beach? Will sand be tracked through the house? And will the only source of heat be the fireplace? Will cold tile in wintertime bother you?

Sounds exciting. Enjoy your new house.

Respected Contributor

I was in Home Depot last week and looking around guess what?? they have long tiles that look like hardwood. I touched it and yes it's tile but cut like wood floor. I don't know the price or maybe you may not like that store but if you get a chance go there and look at it. Maybe just go on line and see what the price is then decide.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Loveac, another vote for tile.  Sun can do a lot of damage.  LM

Honored Contributor

Consider tile rather than wood in a sunroom.

Honored Contributor

I would probably do tile.

Travertine is great but there are also tiles that look just like hardwood.

@Loveac wrote:

I am in the process of having a home built in South Jersey, which will probably be my last home.  I chose Mannington Atlantis prestige Andean pecan in the tobacco color (a dark wood with beautiful shading) for the majority of the house.  I am thinking that maybe I shouldn't do hardwood in the sunroom.  The sunroom is right off the great room, with French doors on both sides.  The sunroom has many windows, and there will be a dual fireplace with white mantels in the great room/sunroom.  I am looking at travertine, and the cost is over $6,000 for the sunroom. I know many of u on this forum have great decorating ideas and am looking for suggestions.  Do I continue with the hardwood from the great room into the sunroom?  Thanking all in advance for any advice.  

Trusted Contributor

We have a low pile carpet in ours but really wanted to tile it.  The doorway from the kitchen, which is tiled, opens into the sunroom.  The reason for the carpet was that the floor is at a slant due to it previously being an outdoor patio that was slightly slanted for water drainage.