Honored Contributor

Re: Adjustable Bed

[ Edited ]

We bought one recently from OrthoMattress. It's a split CalKing.  It cost DH $5,000.  I say that because he's the one who wanted it - I was okay with our old bed.

We had some issues with sheets at first. It requires two XL twin sheets on the mattresses and a CalKing top sheet + CalKing pillow cases.  

I have to admit that it's very comfortable for me when I'm alone in the bed reading. However, when he comes to bed I wind up putting my side flat because he's tall and likes to encroach upon my territory.  If my side is up and his is down, it creates what he calls a "wall" between us. What he means is that it confines him to his side of the bed.

To make a long story even longer... it has some benefits for someone like my DH who has serious spine and neck issues.  Other than that, I would never, ever have spent so much on a bed. I don't think it's worth the money. In my opinion it is totally underwhelming. It feels one step away from a hospital bed, which it essentially is.

It has USB ports on the sides and I like that, but I could've bought a longer charging cable for a lot less money than we spent on the bed.

ETA: You can't secure the two halves together, because they operate independently. In fact, you need to have enough space in the room to push them apart when you need to change the sheets.  We haven't had any problems with they sliding away from one another.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

@house_cat   

Missy House Cat, 

I do appreciate your honest opinion and wordy ways of putting it! <G>. 

We have a queen size bed and yes, DH does *encroach on my territory* time to time. 

Sometimes he will sleep with his head in his corner and his feet in opposite corner on my side of the bed leaving me with a small area to curl up in.  My Mom used to complain that my Dad would sleep in this postition  and now I know what she was describing.  

We already have  charge  cords on each bedside tables for cell phone charging.

The head/shoulder raise feature  should help us both with acid reflux/sinus issues.    

This SAM'S Club adjustable bed is  $498.  If we don't like it we can return at local Sam's Club.  We already have a decent Serta  Mattress in Queen size purchased from Sam's.  The adjustable bed will replace the now quite  old Box Spring.     

My Aunt tried one at a friends retirement apartment and decided she HAD to have one!   

We have a 4 poster cherry bed frame and understand that the adjustable bed drops in.  

Will report back here after it arrives and when we get all set up!    

Keep Calm and  QVC On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123 

I wish you years of good sleep in your new bed. I wasn't intending to discourage you, I just thought I'd give an honest review.  One of the reasons ours cost so much was that we purchased top of the line mattresses. As I said, he has numerous health issues and it was important to him.

It sounds like you got a very good deal - enjoy it!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I really want an adjustable bed, as I can no longer lay completely down to sleep because of a vertigo issue. I hesitate buying one, because of the cost, and because I'm not sure after the big investment, that I will actually be as comfortable in it as I am in the recliner I purchased specifically for sleeping.

I have always had sleep issues, really pain issues when using a regular mattress. We tried memory foam, and inner spring, nothing has worked well for me my entire adult life. I was waking up hurting after just a couple of hours, tossing and turning, pain in neck, shoulders, hips. 

When the vertigo struck, and has been around now for probably 8 years, I was forced to sleep in a recliner, or be up dizzy and sick every night. At that time, I started getting the best rest I can remember since childhood. I went out and got a recliner for a bedroom and now I sleep in the least pain, deepest, longest sleep ever. I hesitate to change that to an adjustable bed, and find it isn't as good as what I get now. 

This is my DH's problem.  It just started with a new king mattress we bought.  He just cannot sleep on it without getting pain in his hip and leg.   So, after some time he goes to the LR and sleeps on the sofa.   He thinks he can sleep without much/any pain there because it is softer.  

We're past the return period of 120 days so we're stuck. It wasn't cheap but we may have to bite the bullet and just get rid of it.  But we can't keep buying and trying mattresses until we find one he can sleep on.   What to do? What to do?

@Bridgegal  We have a 4 inch foam mattress topper that makes our mattress much softer.  We kind of sink into it and it goes back to the way it came when we get up.  We have also had a feather bed mattress topper which we did not like as much as the foam.  It flattened out much too fast and stayed that way.

Do you think that might help your husband? 

Respected Contributor

I got a Serta Motion iSeries Adjustable Base & a Serta Blue Touch 500 Plush Memory Foam Mattress to go on it about a month ago & I absolutely love it.  Best sleep I've had in years.

Respected Contributor

@hellodali 

Thanks.  I wondered about trying one of those.   It's worth a shot.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got mine in October.. I absolutely love it. I got a Sealy ease 2.0 base with adjustable legs. So You can put it at the height you like. I got the Sealy trust two hybrid mattress with it. I got a full size. The mattress and the base together were 1900.

OP did you get a separate mattress. Not all mattress will work with a adjustable frame.

Valued Contributor

@ccassaday     

Good Question!  Will the mattress work with the adjustable bed platform. ??

The Serta Queen mattress  that I currently have is a newer 2year old hybrid style. 

We have two plastic risers under the upper top mattress that are working with the mattress.   

The adjustable platform does come with adjustable height legs.

Fingers Crossed, 

CAT

Respected Contributor

@hellodaliand others, we purchased a sleep number adjustable bed about 6 months after I had a total shoulder replacement (I also have issues with my back).

After the surgery, it was suggested that I sleep in a recliner which I did, but it started getting old after awhile.

Yes, sleep number is expensive, particularly with the adjustable frame.  But for us, it is well worth it.  We shopped at their store and of course, the sale was ending that day.  We were also told that if the bed did not work out after the trial, they would take it back, BUT the adjustable frame was not returnable.  What?  That's a big expense and a waste of $.

We then shopped on Q and found an adjustable sleep number bed that was very similar to the one in the store (both head and feet elevate on each "twin" bed).  We both have our own remotes to adjust the sleep number bed along with the adjustable part.  The bed on Q was $1500 less than in the store AND if it didn't work out, the adjustable part was returnable.  We ordered the bed and it was available on 6 easy pays (of course, it was still expensive but we still had the 6 months at no interest).

The store also delivers, but they MAKE YOU PAY an extra $200 for them to set it up.  They really aren't that difficult to set up and between the 2 of us, we had it done in an hour.

Now, the sheets - yes they are a pain to put on.  I will admit that with a problematic back, DH does that.  We buy extra long twin sheets (actually from the "MyPillow" guy for a king split bed (giza sheets which we love).  They come with the 2 twin size sheets and one king sheet.  DH changes the sheets and he said he has to crawl on one of them to get the upper corner on that meets in the middle.  The other 3 he's able to do without crawling on the bed. 

We've had the bed for many months and have no problem with the 2 separating.  If you can afford one, I highly suggest it.  I sleep very well particularly because I have the ability of selecting my sleep number along with the elevations for head/feet.  DH said he loves it too and not sorry we invested in one.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gacat123 wrote:

@ccassaday     

Good Question!  Will the mattress work with the adjustable bed platform. ??

The Serta Queen mattress  that I currently have is a newer 2year old hybrid style. 

We have two plastic risers under the upper top mattress that are working with the mattress.   

The adjustable platform does come with adjustable height legs.

Fingers Crossed, 

CAT

A hybrid will work just fine. They recommend a hybrid of a memory  foam because of the bending of the mattress.