Esteemed Contributor

Re: Active Adult/over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

@FuzzyFacewrote:

Homegirl--

Yes I can really grasp that there are senior communities that are quite active and fun and I AM really serious. My mother-in-law lived in one for several years and she liked it.The residents were nice and only some of them were tottering around

However, I still would miss having people of all ages--especially children and teenages--around and that did bother me about my mil's facility. Also, there was a lack of privacy that bothered me too. Of course if you're really in poor health it's good to know there's skilled nursing care right there on the spot.

So I guess you pay your money and you take your choice.

We have people of all ages!  Residents are usually 60 - ??  We have one that is 95 this year.  Still mows his neighbor's lawns.  There is always younger people visiting and they like to walk around because it is a safe place.  They love riding around in the golf carts and using the swimming pool.  Why would you think they wouldn't be her???

Honored Contributor

I think Miss Lorraine is confiusing an over 55 community with one of those places where they have independant apts. - and skilled nursing care - and assisted living all in the same complex. The residents can move up the chain of care as needed. Some offer meals in a dining room. I don't know what they call these kind of places.

Lorraine - an over 55 community is just that and nothing else - a regular neighborhood but in order to buy there you have to be over 55. Many times the people who live in over 55 communities are still working every day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949wrote:

I think Miss Lorraine is confiusing an over 55 community with one of those places where they have independant apts. - and skilled nursing care - and assisted living all in the same complex. The residents can move up the chain of care as needed. Some offer meals in a dining room. I don't know what they call these kind of places.

Lorraine - an over 55 community is just that and nothing else - a regular neighborhood but in order to buy there you have to be over 55. Many times the people who live in over 55 communities are still working every day.

Hi @151949  Those are called continuing care communities.   

She doesn't seem to grasp the fact that active adult communities don't have the assisted living option and are a whole different thing from continuing care communities.

How hard is it to look things up?  She is already on the internet, for goodness sake.  We've all explained it over and over but she clings to her own wrong understanding.  I give up.  Although I do hate to see someone refuse to be educated and then end up with a totally opposite outcome than was hoped.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

@CJC

by wall I assume you must live off a busy highway (like 75/275/Veterans Exp) because they put those walls up as "noise barriers".

Plus,this area is building town homes, apartments, homes faster than I can imagine -- all the farmland & open land is either being cleared for strip malls or housing!  I remember 7 years ago SR 54/56 was a "dirt road" and 2 lanes.    DelWebb is building a over55 community on 54 -- 10,000+ homes!

IMO the gated community is prevalent in FL & some look for gated community homes because they feel safer -- it's a big plus for home buyers & not just over-55 communities.  The HOA fees are also higher in gated because 24/7 security staff.

As for selling or buying a home -- yes, it's a whole different experience buying here vs. in the north.  We wanted to go through Sarasota National Golf Community before buying here -- you needed all kinds of clearance.  Plus, a appointment with a on-site representative finally after 4 attempts we viewed properties.  

In fact, in my gated community the realtor needs to bring you in & openhouses are pre-registration with realtor or you don't get in. I'm sure it's frustrating for those who just want to ride around but there are plenty of non-gated neighborhoods especially now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

@homedecor1 Not all gated communities have high HOA fees. Not All gated communities have a security person at the gates. Our gates open with a garage door opener type device that is in the car , or when we have a guest they push a button next to our name - it calls us on the phone and we remotely open the gate.

What we do see a lot in our area are communities where they no longer close the gates because maintainence of those gates is so expensive the community has decided they would rather not have that constant expense. In the 5 months since we came home from the north this year our gates have had to be repaired at least a half dozen times. Mostly due to being struck by lightening.It's a big expense to the community.

Trusted Contributor

Zhills, We have people of all ages!  Residents are usually 60 - ??

That is NOT people of all ages.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace  CLEARLY - to live in an over 55 community you have to be over 55. That means many folks who live in one still will be working for  15 more years before they retire. You seem to think that at 55 everyone is ready for the nursing home. How old are you ? 12? Geeze.

Esteemed Contributor

Actually, only 1 person in the household must be 55 or older! 

I stated that the residents have visitors and the visitors are of all ages.  

I know you are ill but why the persistance of one idea that isn't correct at all!  If you don't live in a 55+ community, why such a negative opinion?  They are just a group of homes.  The owners of the subdivision get some type special tax break by being over 55 communities.  It does not effect the residents and their life styles at all.  

It is the most active place I have ever lived!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills That may be the rule where you live. Each community can make their own rules. In most - all residents must be over 55. They usually restrict how long an under 55 visitor may stay - for instance 2 or 3 months max.

Honored Contributor

Not all condos are created equal and you need to read the fine print when buying one.

My townhouse is a condo and I while I own the unit and the land, the HOA only takes care of the landscaping and my front stoop/walkway.

I am responsible for the roof, siding and anything related to the exterior of the unit.

I bought it when it was new construction, so I was made aware of this at the time I purchased in 1993.  Over the years as units turn over, realtors are not advising purchasers of this as well as the fact that they have to pay 2 HOA fees.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN