Trusted Contributor

Re: Active Adult/over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

If your main desire is for quiet, I'm sure a senior community would be right for you.

Myself, I can't stand the idea, especially with all those teetering old people staggering around. I live in a neighbor hood I love: noisy (though not at night) with the sounds of LIFE. All summer every single neighbor including us was having their houses worked on. Little kids were running around having fun and doing the goofy things little kids do. People coming to and from work, from early in the morning till late at night. Chatting with neighbors about our gardens, dogd, etc.

And diverse! BOY is our neighborhood diverse; I'll bet we've got all 7 continents represented.

My health hasn't been great lately and I imagine I'll end up in a nursing or old-age home eventually but I want to stay where I am as long as possible.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You sure do have a warped idea of a 55+ community!

When you described your community, you actually described an over 55 community.  Very active place!

UPCOMING EVENTS: All Events take place at Clubhouse.
Learn more about what’s going on at  Monday Morning Coffee Meeting - 8:30 am, all are welcome!
☀️Singles Dance - Fri., Feb. 16, 7 pm
☀️Sweetheart Dance - Sat., Feb. 17, 7-10 pm (tickets needed)
☀️Memorial Service - Sun., Feb. 18, 2 pm
☀️Jam Session - Tues., Feb. 20, 7 pm
☀️Rich Wilson - Fri., Feb. 23, 7 pm (tickets needed)
☀️Relay for Life Spaghetti Dinner - Sat., Feb. 24, 5:30 pm (tickets needed)
WEEKLY EVENTS: 
☀️Monday Coffee Hour - 8:30 am
☀️Line Dancing - Mon., 10:30 & 11 am
☀️Bingo - Mon., 6 pm, dinner at 5 pm
☀️Shuffleboard - Tues & Wed., 10 am, Fri., 7 pm.
☀️Yoga - Tues., 12 noon
☀️Bridge - Tues., 1 pm
☀️Art Club - Wed., 10 am - 12 pm
☀️Chorus Practice - Wed., 2 pm
☀️Cards - Wed., 7 pm
☀️Ladies Golf - Thurs., 8:30 am
☀️Sunny Stitchers - Thurs., 10 am
☀️Crafts - Thurs., 10 am
☀️Karaoke - Thurs. Evenings, 7-9 pm.
☀️Cardio - Fri., 9:30 am
☀️Quilting Project Fri., 1 pm

Old people staggering around...........

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFacewrote:

If your main desire is for quiet, I'm sure a senior community would be right for you.

Myself, I can't stand the idea, especially with all those teetering old people staggering around. I live in a neighbor hood I love: noisy (though not at night) with the sounds of LIFE. All summer every single neighbor including us was having their houses worked on. Little kids were running around having fun and doing the goofy things little kids do. People coming to and from work, from early in the morning till late at night. Chatting with neighbors about our gardens, dogd, etc.

And diverse! BOY is our neighborhood diverse; I'll bet we've got all 7 continents represented.

My health hasn't been great lately and I imagine I'll end up in a nursing or old-age home eventually but I want to stay where I am as long as possible.

Getting to be one of "those teetering old people staggering around" (that you can't stand)  beats the alternative and one day if you're lucky, you'll find yourself one of them.

Respected Contributor

We live in NJ and our property tax is very,very high. Eventually I would move to 55+ because their taxes are much lower. But my DH says It depresses him to see the ambulances and lonely older folks sitting at the clubhouse. I told him that it will be him one day, and his response was “ this day isn’t here yet”. Guess he is not ready yet.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFacewrote:

Dear @FuzzyFace

You don't seem to grasp what an active adult community actually is.

It is NOT for people on their "deathbeds." 

Active adult communities do not have "old people staggering around."  They don't even have medical facilities or nursing care on site.

It's hard to believe your'e actually serious.   If you are, you will want to educate yourself immediately.  Otherwise, you will surely end up in a place where you will not be happy.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Been invited to live in one of those communities.  I can just stay where I am and find all the activity and friendship I want.  And where I live, all kinds of nice people, rather quiet and fun within a few miles away.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Homegirl--

Yes I can really grasp that there are senior communities that are quite active and fun and I AM really serious. My mother-in-law lived in one for several years and she liked it.The residents were nice and only some of them were tottering around

However, I still would miss having people of all ages--especially children and teenages--around and that did bother me about my mil's facility. Also, there was a lack of privacy that bothered me too. Of course if you're really in poor health it's good to know there's skilled nursing care right there on the spot.

So I guess you pay your money and you take your choice.

Honored Contributor

I don't know where Miss Lorraine lives - but in our neighborhood up north, everyone went to work every weekday and it was deathly silent all day long. Being a nurse my schedules varied and when I was home during the day, except the lady next door to us who rarely came out of her house, there was no one home. The little kids all went to day care or after school programs. Hardly ever saw a soul.

Trusted Contributor

Tyak, I understand that. If and when I have to go to a "home" (a joke among her adult children--long story) I'll try to find one that's as close to my wishes as possible. I'm also aware that no one institution will have it all so I'll probably have to make some compromises; that's life--you can't have it all.

Honored Contributor

Dear @FuzzyFace

This thread is NOT about going to a "home."  

I still don't think you're clear on the concept of what an ACTIVE ADULT community actually is.

Check out some of the Del Webb, Shea Homes, Lennar, or some of the other well-known builders of active adult communities. 

They are the farthest thing from a nursing home you could imagine.  They are also not "institutions."  They are simply individual homes where the residents must be 55 or over.  No nurses, no doctors, nothing like the nursing homes you keep bringing up.  Do your research.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.