Honored Contributor

Active Adult/over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

[ Edited ]

Does anyone have any recent opinions and/or experience with living in an over 55 community?  Or perhaps planning to move to one?  Or maybe it wasn't what you expected so you are moving away from one?

I'm considering moving to one.  I haven't chosen any final destination yet, but folks here are experienced in so many things, it's a natural place to ask.

I'm in northern California and will stay in northern California, just not in the same exact area.

Edited to add I'm not speaking of a continuing care community but only an "active adult" community with an over 55 age restriction.  I am very familiar with HOAs and their pros and cons since I already live in one and have been board president and am still on my board currently.

My main criterion is quiet.  I think and hope that will be easier to come by in an adult community.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

We have a home in Sun City Anthem, Henderson, NV. (A LOT of Californians are here!!)  My husband loves it because he loves the desert, it's quiet and it's what he wants.  However, after 13 years of living here, I had to get out so we bought a condo in Chicago.  We split our time between the 2 places.

Pros:  If you are a "joiner" and like to play golf (ours is a golfing community), tennis, mah jong, etc. you will find plenty to do. 

Cons:  I am not a "joiner" and found it very boring.  We do not gamble and we rarely go to the Strip.  There is very little "culture" here so it is not my cup of tea.

Bottom line:  it depends what you are looking for and want to do. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50

You've echoed my thoughts exactly.  I'm not a joiner per se.

I've done a lot of research so I am aware of what is "out there."  

Honored Contributor

My mother lives in one.

I think it must totally depend on each individual community.

Hers is not something I think is good for the long run.

The houses, like duplexes, they are responsible for everything inside just like a house, and also the shrubs or flowers right next to their house.

I see no difference between this and a strict homeowners association. And they have a very strict committee to what you can and can't do-no bird houses, no young grandchildren staying for more than so many days, only very small dogs.

They have many groups you can join, and club houses where many activities, movies etc go on.

The apartments there might be more group friendly because if single, the houses can be lonely day to day.

But the small strip of stores including the grocery store is awful and the parking lot has no place to leave your basket so they have to walk it back and then back up a hill!

I know some who are very happy where they are in the 55 and older.

I guess it is like any neighborhood, it all depends on that community.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I live in the PNW and I have a friend who made that move about 8 years ago.  She is sorry she did because she now needs some help and she is going to have to move again to a assisted living -type place where there are some medical staff.  She was 65 when she moved to the over 55 community and within a year was complaining about living with just a bunch of old people.  

Honored Contributor

For me, I like the idea of the "active adult" community being quieter than a mixed-age community.  Quiet is big for me.

I used to have 20-something neighbors that had people over almost every night of the week, and kept their "party" going until all hours.  Calling the police did little to curb that habit.  I was so glad when they moved away and an older, very quiet gentleman moved in.   

(We have no common house walls but my bedroom wall acted as one of the borders of their back patio.)

I don't care about age so much as I do quiet, and I think older folks are, as a rule, quieter than younger folks.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I are not joiners either but I would like an over 55 community because no kids. I think it could get a bit boring being around lots of older people but as long as I can drive and do what I want it would be no different than today. Just no kids around. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I moved to one 4 1/2 yrs ago & love it!

Our 55+ community consists of 2 highrises in the boondocks.  Highrise consists of condos & apartments.

My baby brother tells anyone w/in ear shot I live in Jurassic Park. Smiley LOL

Efficiencies - 3 bedroom units.

PROS:

24 hr video security.

24 hr doorman.

All utilities included.

Pets allowed

2 county buses-takes you anywhere in the county.

2 community vans-same as above.  Drivers live on property & vans run 24/7/365 a year.

Plenty of in house activities-all FREE.  Just recently, Management provided a catered SB party.

No children allowed.  They can stay w/you no longer than 6 months.

Since I've been here, 1 tenant has been evicted from my bldg for having her "grands" living w/her.  She claimed she was "babysitting."  Further investigation confirmed she was granted full custody prior to moving here which was not disclosed. getout.gif

No snow shoveling or cutting grass.  Complex takes care of that.

Garden plots for each tenant.  I gave my plot away since I ain't into that.

CONS

You really need a car since we are located in the boonies. 

I'm not a joiner either.  That being said, I am on the winter Wii bowling team.  I tend to hibernate during the winter months.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I don’t live in one & am not planning to move to one but I am very familiar when 55+ communities and know a lot of people who live in them.

Every community is different. You will pay for the amenities so choose one that offers things you are interested in. You don’t want to pay for things you have no interest in. 

If you can, try renting for a month or 3 at the place you are considering buying at. You’ll discover you love it or hate it and will either confirm you should buy there or send you running!

These are generally called active lifestyle retirement communities. If your health is not the best, it might not be the best move. Then again, it could be. 

Honored Contributor

This is really hard to answer for someone else, but here are some things I would consider.

Like others have noted, are you a 'joiner' and is the community one where it almost seems 'pushed' that you socialize with others in the community or you are seen as a bit of an outcast? If not, are there communities where the social aspect isn't as promoted?

Are you ready for strict HOA type rules and regulations? There are pros and cons to this. Keeps the area nice and pleasant looking, no one putting 25 gnome statues in their garden or painting the house purple with pink polka dots and jacking up three cars in the driveway. But, it might mean that you can only have so many pots of flowers or a couple of seasonal decor pieces in your outdoor space. Read and understand the rules and the methods by which they are changed thoroughly before deciding on the community, and be honest with yourself about what you will and won't like about those rules. 

Are you looking to be away from younger people in your immediate living area? No kids on bikes or running behind the car as you back out the drive, no loud parties by teens who's parents went out of town for the weekend etc. seems good to me. But some people love to be surrounded by people of all ages, and enjoy seeing children play in the yards etc. Know which way would either make you happy or make you miserable. 

When selling at a later date, will it limit the pool of potential buyers for you, and then perhaps the amount you can make on the house, or increase the length of time to make the sale?  In some areas, over 55 communities are a hot commodity, and other places they may not be. So might that be something to concern you later on, your resale value and ease?

Just some of the things I would consider.