Respected Contributor

When we got to our FL condo last week, we did a lot of lanai cleaning which we fully expected thanks to Hurricane Irma.

Those 145 mph winds must have pushed ever type of debris through the smallest openings.  In the 5 years we have had the condo, I never saw such accumulated dust and tiny gnats collecting along baseboards and edges of floors.  Okay, vacuumed it all up.

However, after I steam cleaned the tile floors, instead of quiet we now have squeaks as our shoes ( treaded ) walk on the tiles.  Have always steam cleaned tiles, no problem.

Anyone have any ideas how we can go back to the quiet ?

Is Irma to blame for the stickiness for want of a better term?

TIA 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Re: AFTERMATH OF HURRICANE IRMA

Are you wearing new shoes, I know that tends to happen with new shoes. 

Honored Contributor

Where I live (Sarasota area) several homes heard a loud "explosion" during the hurricane and all the tile floors were cracked and lifted. It appears it was a combination of shoddy work when the floors were laid 8 years ago and negative pressure caused by the hurricane. These people have hired a lawyer for a class action suit and engineers - that was the conclusion of the enginerers.DH & I are very happy we chose carpet over tile floors.

Otherwise all we have here in our community are some roof tiles blew off and some landscape lost.

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

Are you wearing new shoes, I know that tends to happen with new shoes. 

No, both of us are wearing the shoes we always wear down here.  I tried using 409 on the bottom of one of my shoes and dried it: then I did a comparison walk.  No difference.

Will be trying a few drops of Dawn in hot water and cleaning one small test section of the already steam cleaned tile.  Found this on Google.  Will post results.

Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@151949

Wow, hadn't heard about that tile issue.  Checked our tile floors and they have no cracks.  They are over 12 years old and look solidly laid.

The sound made by the shoes sounds like light suction.  Posted reply to @qvcfreak below is my next cleaning technique found on Google.

Glad the damage in Sarasota was limited.  

As we drove around Naples, there appears to be quite a number of roofs damaged in whole or part ( blue plastic seems to be the temporary covering choice ) as well as areas that those heavy winds decimated. Some perimeter walls have been crumbled but these were sandwiched in between still- standing walls. Go figure.

Roadside, some scary sights:  huge, old trees just laying on their sides off the roadway.  Some of the still-standing tall palm trees have lost their fronds and the tops caved in.

In my mind I can still see how luxuriant the palms were around us.  Hopefully they will recover.

Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Try steam cleaning the floors again and also clean the bottom of your shoes.  

Hurricane winds can put stuff where you never expected!  Sounds like just be a film on the tile.  

My inlaid linoleum pops when the weather is this cold.  

My screened in porch took a beating and dirt in places you don't normally clean.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills@151949@qvcfreak

Just finished trying the Dawn drops in hot water.  Spread with terry mop and wiped with rag.  Dried with another soft cloth.....it worked.  

The floor film was causing the sticky noise from our shoes which we had already cleaned with 409.  The first cleaning  ( steam ), merely loosened the top layer.

Tired but appreciating the quietness...nobody can sneak up on me now, lol !!!!

Sir Winston Churchill
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Zhills@151949@qvcfreak

Just finished trying the Dawn drops in hot water.  Spread with terry mop and wiped with rag.  Dried with another soft cloth.....it worked.  

The floor film was causing the sticky noise from our shoes which we had already cleaned with 409.  The first cleaning  ( steam ), merely loosened the top layer.

Tired but appreciating the quietness...nobody can sneak up on me now, lol !!!!

Thanks for the solution to the fix