Honored Contributor

Re: A tale of (several) vacuums.

i have a dyson cordless stick and a dyson upright ball. they are great vaccums. if i were to ever need another i would not hesitate getting a dyson again. i used to be an oreck user, but once i purchased a dyson i was hooked.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Love my Oreck. I suppose we all have different needs, but mine has served me well for many years.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

My favorite would be ANY brand and I could convince to pick up pet fur in one swipe - especially Labrador fur, which is dense and a bit corse.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@GingerPeach, I'm right there with you.  I have a 25 year old Kenmore canister vacuum.  When we bought this house, with all hard floors, I ordered a Bissel canister vac from Amazon, Hard Floor Expert I think it's called.  I thought it would be a nice, light vac that would make cleaning easy.  I've never loved it.  A couple months ago I decided to bring the Kenmore up from the basement, where it has resided since I got the Bissel, and I was blown away by how much better it cleaned!  I did some research and it has twice the amps of the Bissel, no wonder it's better!  The handle and hose assembly is coming apart, and alas they don't make those parts anymore.  I've been considering purchasing a new Kenmore, but I fear it won't be like ours anymore. 

I have a cordless Dyson too, but it doesn't come close to the suction power of the Kenmore.  I use it for day to day cleaning, but when I'm really thorough, it's Kenmore time.  I truly don't know what brand/model to look into. 

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

I prefer the Hoovers that have cord rewind.  I can't stand handling the cords on a vacuum cleaner. 

They're only about $100 (at Sears).  I don't have carpets, but I have two cats, so I vacuum (or dry mop) hardwoods almost every day.

I'm not even sure what a 'canister' is, the thing you lift off and empty or the long vacuums that look like dashunds?

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN  Me too, love my oreck. Lightweight and cleans good. and is at least 17 years old.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet_Serenitywrote:

Kenmore hands down used to be the best. No longer the same quality.

The old Kenmores were def the best....i have always gotten the cannister vacuums....i am still using one...but the last one i bought i can say does not seem to be as good of quality.....but i would still prob go with that as i have tried other vacuums and have not been happy with them...

Honored Contributor

I've had the Dyson roller ball for quite a few years, love it.
"To each their own, in all things".