Valued Contributor

In the market for a new fridge

I can’t decide on GE or whirlpool French door. I have read most of the reviews and it’s pretty much still 50/50. Any thoughts.

Respected Contributor

Re: In the market for a new fridge

Personally, I would never purchase a GE fridge ever again.  I have had 3, still have the third.  Each have had problems with gaskets and ice makers. You might wonder why I had 3, well they were under an insurance policy.  Therefore, when each could no longer be fixed, I got money towards a new one.  Of course I had to add to the cost, as the original cost was not enough.

The next time I purchase a fridge, it won't be a GE.  Just my 2 cents.

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

We just had a new refrigerator delivered. It's a Samsung French Door, and I love having a large freezer on the bottom.  I will say that we liked our Whirlpool refrigerator, and have put it in our garage to hold beverages.  My vote is for you to get a Whirlpool.

Trusted Contributor

We own LG French door and love it. Especially the long drawer for cold cuts cheese dips or just about anything. It fits so much. And it has the veggie and fruit drawers but also a drawer that is in the middle of those two, really comes in handy. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucylu12wrote:

We own LG French door and love it. Especially the long drawer for cold cuts cheese dips or just about anything. It fits so much. And it has the veggie and fruit drawers but also a drawer that is in the middle of those two, really comes in handy. 

I have an LG French door but counter depth.  It looks just as large as a standard size fridge but it doens't stick way out beyone the cabinets.

Trusted Contributor

Vote for Whirlpool here. But I hate the french door design. Had problems with it on a Maytag model and swore never again. Design flaw lets warm air build up in/whoosh into the freezer compartment (think about it -- opening and closing a large area) and froze the light control switch more than once. Control board had to be replaced.

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, whatever you buy now days will be cheaply made.  We just had to have a new mother board replaced in our Whirlpool frig.. not  even 1 1/2 years old.....Just quit working one night and had to throw away tons of food...

Luckily we had purchased the extra warranty...but I think that's just a racket, so they can charge you a lot more money.....but the repairman told us it was common for the computer board to go out in a lot of the new ones....just be aware...nothing lasts anymore and it's expensive.... just saying.....

Honored Contributor

We chose a Whirlpool side by side for our new house.

Respected Contributor

Got a french door Whirlpool.  At the 13th month, the part that you can raise or lower the temperature wouldn't change except to go down.  Don't know why I decided that I needed to adjust it at the 13th month when it was no longer in warranty.   Had no issues prior to that.

My son insisted that I buy something made in America so he reommended Whirlpool.

Probably just a fluke, but be sure to adjust it higher or lower just to make sure that part is still working before the warranty is over.

I would buy again, it cost less then $200 to fix and I've had zero issues since then. 

Check out rebates that might be offered by your electric company.  Sometimes you can save even more. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

We just bought a house to flip.  

We bought a Whirlpool appliance package for the kitchen.  It's really nice.  I'm impressed with it.  I went with the side by side instead of the French door.  The French door would have been $700 more.  

I'd rather put the $700 to better use - like flooring or counters.