Honored Contributor

Re: A STORIED ROCKEFELLER APARTMENT

@Oznell JUST LOVE your posts!  You come up with so many visual gems!!!

Thank you!Smiley Happy

See the source image

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell Oh, how wonderful!  It's amazing that this was photographed more than 40 years ago!  It is as appealing to the eye now as it was then!  Albert Hadley was a Master!  Love the Library brown laquered walls and of course the tea paper.  I can picture dinner, there, in candlelight, only, reflecting against the walls shimmering in all it's glory.  As you stated, his modern collection was priceless but Hadley was able to blend it so well that it is not jarring!  Oh, that was a glorious time in New York!

We attended a high end affair in the Waldorf Astoria and Nelson and Happy were the guests of honor.  We were invited to a private reception to meet the Governor and his wife.  Rockefeller was larger than life and so full of life, not reserved in any way!  He filled up a room!  Happy was very plain, nothing to speak of, could have been anyone's wife but very pleasant, not as outgoing as her husband.  My husband's comment to me was:  wouldn't you think, with all his money, he would have had his teeth fixed!  So, of course from that point on, all I could focus on was how poor Rockefeller's teeth were!

I was, always, amazed that Albert Hadley and Sister Parrish were partners in business.  So diametrically opposed in design style.  His work life was not easy with Sister!  So many, many wonderful designers trained at Parrish Hadley!

You made my morning!  Thank you!

Super Contributor

Considering that this was years ago, It was what that time was for the rich and how they decorated..I dont care for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey, @ECBG and @Somertime,  thank you for kind words!  It's my pleasure!

@spider woman,  I'm very envious of you getting to see Kykuit in person.  Have drooled over images of that beautiful place.  I love all the gorgeous Hudson River estates, there's something so dream-like about them...

What a fascinating personal story of the Rockefellers, @Somertime --  right down to earthy Nelson's neglected teeth!  I love it.   Yeah, that was a fascinating time.  Happy seems to have been one of those ladies that "Women's Wear Daily" liked-- they opined that her personal style was "always right".  Found this fun photo from then of Marion Javits, Happy, Oscar de la Renta, and John B. Fairchild.  Don't they look like they've just had a convivial lunch?

happy-rockefeller021.jpg

It was a very understated style, for sure:

Nelson-and-Happy-Rockefeller.jpg

Honored Contributor

Beautiful, and especially that dining room table-just gorgeous!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   Another place, another time!  La Grenouille!  A beautiful French restaurant!  Mortimer's............ah, the ladies who lunch......Nan Kempner, Pat Buckley, Babe Paley, Gloria Guinness,  all long gone like the era.  It was a fabulous time to be in New York.

I felt sorry for Happy concerning the death of Rockefeller.  She survived two scandals in her life, the marriage and the death of Rockefeller.  The tried to cover up some very scandalous circumstances of his death.  I felt so bad that the circumstances were so public for her.  what goes on privately in a marriage id between them but when it is exposed publicly and in unseemly circumstances, it is difficult.  She remained a private person until her death but the scandal of his death remains.  The Rockefellers are no longer in the forefront but have receded into a quiet private life.

Honored Contributor

The dark wall in the Library is stunning. I also really like the Dining Room.

Thank You for the interesting pictures that you take time to post. I thoroughly enjoy them.

Esteemed Contributor

Not much I care for.  I do "kind of" like the library although I'm sure most won't care for it. 

Interesting side note,  my youth group was in Washington D.C. when he was V.P.  We were wearing matching Navy pants/skirts w/ light blue short sleeve sweaters and it had been arranged to have our picture taken with Birch Bayh outside of the Senate Building (I believe).  Afterwards, we were still there and a car pulled up with Vice President Rockefeller and he came over and shook all of our hands.  I'm sure there were plenty of security and secret service men around but I don't remember them.  This would have been around 75 or 76.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Oznell love the living room with golden light

Honored Contributor

I love the golden quality of it too, @tobes.

Cool memory, @shoptilyadropagain!