Honored Contributor

A STORIED ROCKEFELLER APARTMENT

Governor and former U.S. Vice President Nelson Rockefeller's ultra-swank Fifth Avenue apartment is the stuff of legend.  He first collaborated on it with modernist Jean-Michel Frank in the late Thirties, I believe.  Being a very cultivated art connoiseur, Rockefeller crammed the 30 room triplex with priceless abstract and traditional art and curiosities.  The apartment expanded and contracted over the years, but I'll show mostly the later, scaled-down version that his widow Happy ended up with.  She had my favorite of the classic, top-tier decorators, Albert Hadley, guiding her.

A glimpse of the lobby:

22789071_10155217825854842_2466091800750585465_n.jpg

The original living room was 47 feet long.  But still, this was a smaller version of the original, mulit-floor plan :

d6c1a-810fifth_fp.jpg

Happy and Nelson amid some of their incredible art collection:

sothebys-com.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg

When Happy sold off part of the apartment, she had Albert Hadley redesign the huge, sunny master bedroom as her living room.  You can see a bit of the unusual curvy soffited ceiling here, which I'm guessing dates from the apartment's Art Deco origins:

item10.rendition.slideshowWideVertical.albert-hadley-tribute-11.jpg

More of the lovely living room, with its invaluable screen and air of luxurious comfort.  Designer Albert Hadley famously said, "it's the goldest room you ever saw", and I really enjoy the tawny warmth it exudes:

IMG_00011-600x349.jpg

IMG6-600x760.jpg

The sleek library.  I think those lamps are Giacometti:

5b4ad5c217abd1298daee780c388fd7d--albert-hadley-black-rooms.jpg

Nelson's original dining room was much colder, with hard angles and bright, primary colored modern art;  I much prefer Albert Hadley's subtle, glamorous version.  Look at how that gorgeous silvery tea paper shimmers in candlelight!   Hadley had tea paper in one of his own apartments too-- looked fab.

IMG9_small.jpg

For fun here are a few items from their fabulous collection, which was handled by Sotheby's:

Gilded console, which appeared in many spreads on the home:

Console,%2520Alberto%2520Giacometti.jpg

Of course, Nelson had his own portrait, rendered by Andy Warhol:

Couldn't resist throwing in Happy's pink tourmaline, sapphire, emerald and diamond necklace:

There are so many other objects of beauty-- sculptures, drawings and paintings, including Miros and Picassos, and one-of-a-kind furniture.  Even the fireplace andirons are distinctive and stunning!  If you are interested, there's tons more to see online. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A STORIED ROCKEFELLER APARTMENT

Absolutely fantastic

Honored Contributor

Nelson was dyslexic and unable to read.  It did not keep him from being governor of NY and VP of the USA.  Happy was happy to be his second wife.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too "stiff", colorless.  Very cold and stuffy.  I get the feeling you have to be "properly" dressed, no jeans allowed.

Surprised how poorly the furniture is arranged in the living room.   Fireplace looks lost against the wall. 

The entrance is cold and uninviting.  

Black walls????

Blah dining room without the tablescape...lit candles.

Looks like it was designed in the 1940's. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable living there.  

Honored Contributor

Very cool.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Ghastly. Just awful. It makes me itch just to think of being in any of those rooms.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely elegant and classy, the furnishings are beautiful and the decor in every room enhances.  It all appeals to my taste.

I visited the Rockefella's estate, Kykuit located at NY in the Hudson Valley.  This was many years ago when it first opened for the public to tour.  Generations of Rockefeller's lived there.  The place was filled with so much beauty and stunning decor and furniture.  I was impressed throughout the tour..  The grounds also were a sight to see.  There were many modern art pieces on the walls, Nelson was a modern art collector.  It was quite an estate and an enjoyable place to visit, I would love to go again.

Respected Contributor

Simply spectacular!  I love it because of its eclectic design elements! 

Trusted Contributor

Swanky !  Love it.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful!  When rooms are this well designed, the eye moves around smoothly and there is a flow of colors and textures.