Honored Contributor

Re: A Collector's Dining Room

[ Edited ]

@ms traditional wrote:

i would enjoy being in this room.  i like the soup tureens/serving dishes tucked in the corner.  i have some lovely ones that are pieces of art unto themselves. also the platters at the top-  which are always a bear to store. so  it's a shame that they sit unappreciated in a storage cupboard.  maybe if people used/displayed more of these treasures there would be a higher appreciation of same.  but we live in a throwaway/instant gratification/run run run world, it seems.  not much time for craftsmanship, artistic expression, appreciation for things of beauty -  regarding the number of plates, i inherited many plate sets from mother/grandmothers which included a large number of each pattern for when people had buffets for 20-30 people.  that's the way it was done.

Regarding this particular room, I don't see much of anything artistic about it.

Also, I don't think disliking this room puts you in a throwaway/instant gratification category.  I think these "treasures" (not my word, but certainly for some) look like junk displayed this way.

JMO for what it's worth.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Unique and different, but the walls are not up to the elegance of the dishes or the furniture. Simply lining the dishes up, and the distracting lines of the holding piece on each shelf is distracting. 

If you remove those 'bars', layer the pieces (like a dinner plate with a salad plate on top of each one, and alternate platters every other shelf with the plates, it would provide more depth, focus on the pretty dishes (not those annoying rails), and seem more like a huge hutch and a wall of boring plates.

All that said, I wouldn't want it in my house, to much to keep clean.

I think it would be fun to work with this and make it better.

I think you're right.  It's those rails that make it too much, not so much the plates.  If the plates were placed in a more decorative way, I think it would be much nicer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon  in terms of artistic, creative, etc, i was referring to the items, the treasures - plates, platters, tureens, etc from yesteryear - not the design of the room. the room was the vehicle for displaying them.  of course,  just mho.

Honored Contributor

I like nothing about that room.

Honored Contributor

It looks like a mock dinning room in a Department Store that's selling an expensive set of china.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Dust collectors and just too much.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

It looks like a mock dinning room in a Department Store that's selling an expensive set of china.......

@Spurt

That's exactly what I was thinking. It reminds me of the china department in a department store. I picture the bride and groom to be, sitting at that table, with a sales representative, picking out their china pattern, and filling out their bridal registry.Woman LOL

As far as the room goes, I don't like it, and I definitely wouldn't want to have to clean all those pieces.

@lolakimono

Esteemed Contributor

Wow...very unique... kind of feeling like "Attack of the China Plates"!!   I think I would almost be claustrophobic!