Esteemed Contributor

I want a good quality vacuum.  I have area rugs and hardwood floors.  I have two long haired Chihuahuas... need I say more. Woman Happy

I want something that is light weight, easy to manuever and will have good suction.  I don't really care if it has bags or no bags. Just want something that is reliable. 

Also I don't want to break the bank buying it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking to buy a new vacuum

after investing in Oreck, Shark & others I gave up they died!

I have 2 kitties and 1 was long haired.  Needless to say, vacumn everyday.

I bought a Bissell in WM for $49 - 5 years ago (bagless) and it has outlasted all the higher priced ones I've purchased.  I'm going to update it with the same model this week just because it's time. 

Honored Contributor

35 years ago when we first built this house, I purchased a "good" vacuum, which was a Rainbow.   It is still doing a great job all these years later, but is not the vacuum I reach for on a weekly basis.  

That vacuum is a $60 bagless upright purchased from Wal-Mart, that is between 8-10 years old.   When it no longer does the job, I will cut off the cord, save the copper wire inside to sell, and set the rest at the road for garbage pickup.   $100 is my limit for a vacuum.  

Esteemed Contributor

I really like your answers.  I don't want to pay big bucks and it looks like Walmart might be my place to look next week.  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

You might want the purple Shark. Not sure what it's called. It's a great, little vacuum with a lot of suction. It works well on area rugs too. It can be purchased at Walmart 

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but you only get what you pay for when it comes to a vacuum. I've been through the ringer with every brand of vacuum. I now have two Dysons and couldn't be happier! I only wish I had started out with this brand, I would have saved a heck of a lot in the long run. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I will only buy Shark brand.  I gave away my Dyson, which I absolutely hated.

Honored Contributor

I have a Miele canister that I bought in March.  I previously had a Miele canister for over 20 years.  I did something stupid to ruin the floor tool and decided to replace the vacuum instead of the floor tool since it was so old.  It is the Compact C2 Canister Vacuum, and I purchased it from Amazon.  I absolutely love it.  It's extremely lightweight and does have bags.  It was expensive, but I expect it could last about 30 years if I didn't do something stupid like I did with my last one.  I believe you definitely get what you pay for with vacuums.  I had a dog when I bought it and now have a dog and a kitten.  It works really well at picking up pet hair.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own a Shark Lift-Away, the first generation and it is still going strong. Not sure how long I've had it but it's been at least 8 years. Shark is a top-rated vacuum. Millions and millions of people who gave it their top ratings can't be wrong. The numbers speak volumes.

ETA...

I will for sure buy another Shark vacuum whenever this one dies but it seems like the thing won't ever die...lol!Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Got rid of my Dysons.  Will only buy sharks.