Honored Contributor

A CHANGE-UP FOR VALERIE'S LAMPS

So many people have Valerie's versatile buffet lamps.  The version I have is her Antiqued Finish buffet lamps:

New-Set-Of-2-Valerie-Hill-Antiqued-Finish.jpg

I've enjoyed them so much, on our little entrance console table.  Only the elongated shades are not my favorites;  for my particular preferences, they are a little too frou-frou.  I tend to like "clean-lined" traditional, but Valerie's shades give that more 'fancy', formal look...

Of all places, Walmart has the perfect little empire shade for these lamps, the Mainstays Accent shade!   It's more of the empire (gentle cone shape), but still dressy enough for the style of the lamp.  And they had it in black, which is what I was looking for!

Screenshot_2020-12-04 Mainstays Accent Shade, Solid Black - Walmart com.png  The black looks great with the antiqued gold, and I like to introduce black in the room to repeat the color of my iron wall sconces and other iron accents....   Anyway, now the lamps have that more tailored, Parisian look!  I'll still save the cream Valerie shades for occasional use, like in spring time for a lighter feeling.  Not bad for $7.99!

They also had the most ravishing slate blue:

c5b5fd70-4fb8-4b04-8c8f-1475385698cc_1.c2605e979a0ca1d856bd7055e3cfe835.jpeg

While I was on the lampshade rampage there, I picked up two small shades for our quite ordinary white "stick" lamps in the bedroom.   They originally came with these horrible, swoop-y, synthetic looking shades, which are now thankfully falling apart.  So I picked up some cute, neutral linen-y texture, almost drum-shaped shades to replace those.

1fe558c6-22af-42b6-85eb-722dc8b4fe0c_1.7661e36726706b3bdc29a39bf798d787.jpeg

I hate the guesswork of ordering replacement shades online--  will they fit, how much of a pain will it be to return them, etc.--   so these little Walmart finds were great for me!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A CHANGE-UP FOR VALERIE'S LAMPS

@Oznell  Great idea and find! Perfect

I love to be able to tweek something to make it perfect for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lowe's has a similar selection of shades. I tried WM first but the shades I bought there did not work with the $20.00 pair of thrifted buffet lamps I found. Lowe's had what I needed.

Respected Contributor

I have these Val lamps in Antique ivory. I happen to like the shades on them...but I'm glad you shared the Walmart shades info.  I have other lamps I need replacements for and I wouldn't have looked at Walmart. A few years ago I was looking for replacement shades and had a hard time finding any anywhere, even in stores like HomeGoods. Tks!

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the original shade either

the ones you picked are much better

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  Pretty lamps. I do prefer the elongated shades, but I'll bet your new shades look great.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

Love the black shades you found @Oznell I can picture how pretty they look on your entry lamps .

I was on a lamp shade rampage and had the hardest time finding shades in the right size and shape that were truly white when lit, not off white or yellowish. They all looked white but many would not be as soon as the lamp was switched on. Drove me crazy. Finally found some in a lighting store.

Esteemed Contributor

Must have been this many years old before I discovered, to my sorrow, that line of sight matters too.

When standing or sitting your eyes see different aspects of the bulb/light.  A shade needs to cover higher and lower than expected.

Honored Contributor

Ha, I'm glad, @Azcowgirl  and @Still Raining ,  that others have struggles with lamps like the color of shades changing when lamp lit, and the amount of "coverage" of the 'innards' when you're looking at a lamp....

I struggle with that stuff too, and it just seems hard to get exactly what you want, given that there are so many variables!

Esteemed Contributor

I have a beautiful pair of cut crystal lamps that I inherited from my uncle. I always need to replace the shades when I move, which is about every 10 years or so. The fabric breaks down over time just from being exposed to daylight from the windows. I always take a lamp into the only big lighting store that still remains in my area. They have a good size replacement shade dept. with a consultant. When I last replaced the shades two years ago, which are large, I almost choked: $95.00 each. No other options, so I paid. The lamps look beautiful in my LR.  Like clothing, lampshade styles, fabrics and "fashions" change over time and quality costs. 

The shade absolutely makes or breaks the beauty of a lamp and is often overlooked.

While paper shades are OK ( the Lowe's shades on my buffet lamps) fabric shades are gorgeous and very, very hard to find anymore. The right shade, not necessarily the most $, can really elevate the look of any lamp.