Honored Contributor

Re: Your plans for New Year’s Eve or NY’s Day.

The forecast for this week is bitter cold and possibly snow.  We plan to stay home on New Year's Eve where it's warm and cozy.  Around noon on the 31st we'll start our pork and sauerkraut.  This year we'll make it in our Ninja 4 in 1 cooker and slow cook it.  We serve it at midnight, and for lunch and dinner on New Year's Day.  Legend says it will give us good luck for the new year and we need all the good fortune we can get for 2018.  Smiley Happy  

Happy New Year to everyone.  Stay safe whatever your plans are.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I'm usually at home for New Year's eve but this year I'm going to a fancy NY party w/my honey, ladies in formal gowns, men in tuxedo's. We check into the hotel on new years eve where the party is happening, there is a meet and greet  new years eve afternoon dressy casual, then the party from 7-1, after party from 1:15 to 3 am, then after a few hours of sleep there is a brunch on new years day from 10 am to 12 noon.  First time ever to a big event like this. Think I will sleep for 2 days straight after that.

Esteemed Contributor

So cold in the Central Midwest. We're thinking about staying home and inviting sis and bro-in-law over for cards and movie. We generally go to an expensive restaurant or dinner theatre with this couple or attend a neighborhood party. We're losing interest in parties and expensive, crowded venues on NYE. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@joannecha  We had considered spending the night in TC but as others have said, the windchill up here is brutal so we'll probably be home with pizza and movies!

Honored Contributor

No, no plans.  I wouldn't mind going out for a nice low key dinner on New Year's Eve (early) but its always so crowded every where.  We will stay home (it's terribly cold) and have a shrimp ring and I don't know what else.  New Year's Day -- hmmm, I might take down the decorations --- sure don't want to.  Then, I think we are having pork of some kind and sauerkraut.  I have not seen the ball drop in probably 20 years!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

The same plans I've had since I graduated college (30 years ago!) -- staying in my warm, comfortable home with family, friends, or even just a quiet night for two.

In my late teens and early twenties I used to do all the parties and even the Times Square ball drop (I'm from NY).  But I never really enjoyed any of that, even at that young age.  I just went along with friends because it was the thing to do

Honored Contributor

NYD  usually good sales at the stores

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

So cold in the Central Midwest. We're thinking about staying home and inviting sis and bro-in-law over for cards and movie. We generally go to an expensive restaurant or dinner theatre with this couple or attend a neighborhood party. We're losing interest in parties and expensive, crowded venues on NYE. 

@jeanlake  I'm in southern MO and it was 9 degrees this morning again.  Supposed to get a reinforcement shot of cold air later in the weekend. I can't even imagine being any further north than I am during this crazy cold spell.

Stay warm and safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio@2blonde.....I guess we are all Ohioans.  I'm in NW OH.  We got about 3" on Christmas Eve.  That wasn't so bad, but C.mas day the wind was blowing about 1000 mph ( I exaggerate) and caused drifting, but our roads are okay.

NY eve.  A get together for my baby grandson's 16th birthday (mine is day before) and then home and asleep before midnight. It is actually kind of sad for me because I remember all the fun of past parties, etc.  That's why I go to bed early.

When my kids were young, on NY day, we used to make a fire in the f.place and roast hot dogs.  I made lots of goodies to go w/them and then watch all the bowl games.  Lots of memories.

Honored Contributor

New Year's Eve-I attend a small gathering of mutual friend's at my sister's.  We eat pizza and play cards....This year my NFL team plays my sister's team so we will have the TV in the background to check the score....near midnight we will turn it to New Year's Rockin Eve to ring in 2018 .....

New Year's Day....watching college football.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”