Super Contributor

Re: What do you 'collect' that is Christmas oriented?

I collect trains.  My husband works for a railroad.  I started with Hallmark ornaments.  I still collect those and other train ornaments.  I also have some large locomotives and train sets that I put on the mantel and around the house.  Some years they are more popular than others.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:
Pounds? Do extra pounds count?

@Sooner

Oh boy! I collect those all year!  You made me laugh so hard I snorted!

Contributor

I collect the silverplated snowflake ornaments from the Metropolitan Museum in NY.

Have about 40 of them now, 20 for each child.  I used to collect Dep. 52 Dickens Village, but stopped. Too much work to put them up.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I have more than three of is angels.  I have ten.  I plan to pull them all out and see if I can dedicate the mantle to angels.  I got a valerie set of three on eBay, four from pier ones end of year sale last year and three miscellaneous ones.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped collecting.  Earlier this year a family member passed away and she had a lot of "collectibles".  Now, no one in the family wants them and we are finding out that they aren't worth much.

I decided to keep a few items for Christmas for decorating but I'm not adding to any collection.

I do want to add that I do have a very small collection of snowmen. 

Trusted Contributor

The only thing I could come close to calling a collection are my Hallmark ornaments. I have Hallmark ornaments dating back to 1976 and have collected quite a few over the years. No specific theme, just ones that caught my eye or represented a special occasion. I don't buy near as many as I used to. In recent years it seems the Christmas charm of them has diminished. Some of the recent offerings seem a little gaudy, silly or cartoonish. Doesn't help that the price of their average ornament has gotten so high. I still buy the cooking/baking themed ornaments and a few others here and there. 

Other than that, I have a decent collection of Santas. When I get the decorations out and line up the Santas in my staging area (the dining table), my daughter refers to them as my "creepy Santa army". 😄

I am enjoying reading about all of your Christmas collections. Makes me look forward to the holidays. 😊

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

The only thing I could come close to calling a collection are my Hallmark ornaments. I have Hallmark ornaments dating back to 1976 and have collected quite a few over the years. No specific theme, just ones that caught my eye or represented a special occasion. I don't buy near as many as I used to. In recent years it seems the Christmas charm of them has diminished. Some of the recent offerings seem a little gaudy, silly or cartoonish. Doesn't help that the price of their average ornament has gotten so high. I still buy the cooking/baking themed ornaments and a few others here and there. 

Other than that, I have a decent collection of Santas. When I get the decorations out and line up the Santas in my staging area (the dining table), my daughter refers to them as my "creepy Santa army". 😄

I am enjoying reading about all of your Christmas collections. Makes me look forward to the holidays. 😊

@Maltichonmom17

Made me laugh! A 'creepy Santa army'!! Now that is funny! I'd like to see that!

Honored Contributor

I have a small collection of Woof & Poof Angels. Not many. 10 or less. That's it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

swarovski snowflake ornaments

I collect them also.  I have two complete sets, one for each of my daughters.  I started in 1999. 

I also have two each of the Christmas globes that started in 2013.  Those are breathtaking. 

I have a lot of Dept. 56 houses, but the churches are my favorites.  I usually put one or two out each year.

Respected Contributor

I used to collect Santas.  My tree topper is a Victorian Santa.  But I have since stopped that as I was running out of space.  Does it count if I still make sure my Christmas Cards are Santa themed?  I Do collect Icicles.  My family learned the hard way that cats and tinsel don't mix.  I left the house with no tinsel on the tree,  got back home 4 hours later to tinsel on the tree.  Spent the rest of the afternoon picking every last strand Off the tree and STILL girly cat started vomiting.  GRRRR! Yes family mine, This is why I made the no tinsel rule.  Best present I ever got was  a Barium soaked wad of tinsel barf the night before her scheduled surgery!  It Really Truely was.  After that The icicle collecting began.  Twisted wire, drawn glass, spun glass, ceramic, pastic, rolled paper and even pipe cleaner.  I decorate my tree with Icicles, crocheted snowflakes and variious silver paper fans and old mercury glass type ornaments. It's all clear, white and silver and everyone who see it comments on the novelty of it.  Not sure if that's good or bad but I like it!