Super Contributor
What is your most memorable Christmas?
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

Re: Most memorable Christmas

The last ones with each of my parents--1980 & 2007

Trusted Contributor

I fondly remember my first Christmas as a new mother. After childhood, Christmas can lose some of its luster and charm and being able to experience Christmas through the eyes of my child was so precious to me.  The song Christmas Through Your Eyes by Gloria Estefan always brings those memories back to me, along with a sentimental tear or two. 

Esteemed Contributor

Still waiting patiently for a memorable one!

Respected Contributor

I have to say that every Christmas was so memorable growing up. I don't know how my mom did it year after year as a single mother. But there was one where I can still clearly remember seeing myself underneath the most beautiful tree with gifts upon gifts everywhere. That year, Santa brought my most beloved panda bear and that is when my love affair with stuffed animals really began.

I can see myself smiling and laughing along with my siblings and my beautiful mom nearby and gift wrap everywhere.  We were not rich but my mom proved year after year that when will is coupled with effort there is a way to make magical moments happen at any budget.

~Live with Intention~
Super Contributor

Most Christmases in my mind are a blur, but it's funny how one, seemingly normal holiday, can stick in your mind and cause a turning point in your life.

I was a single mother of two young children who lived a block from my parents' home in the neighborhood where I grew up.  It was a typical Christmas morning when the children arose early, excited to see what gifts they would be receiving.  The coffeepot was on, and a simple breakfast was on the stove.   The cozy apartment was decorated with a small tree with just enough colorfully wrapped gifts beneath it.  

The doorbell rang and when I went to see who could be there so very early, I was surprised to see my mother standing there.  She always had difficulty walking due to diabetic neuropathy, and rarely left the house on her own.  She didn't drive and depended on dad and others to take her places.  She had never been able to walk to my apartment, so I always visited her and dad at their home.  We traditionally celebrated holidays with them and would be there later to exchange gifts with the rest of the family.

I invited her in and told her I was happy, and yet very surprised to see her.  She said she just wanted to see the kids open their gifts.  I had no idea it would mean that much to her.

After pouring her a cup of coffee,  she sat down in a rocking chair near the tree with a smile on her face.  Her eyes twinkled as she saw each gift unwrapped by the children and appeared as happy as they were with every present they received.  

A transformation was slowly taking place in my own heart as I watched in wonder as she sat there contentedly.  It struck me for the first time, how very lonely she must be.  My father was company for her, but was not the type of man to care about her emotional needs, and she was too private a person to share her most intimate thoughts with anyone.  She kept her feelings inside.  

Before that Christmas morning, I was unaware of just how special my mother was, and how much she meant to me.  She became not just my mother on that day, but a true friend and fellow, struggling human being that I had been taking very much for granted.  

I didn't realize it at that time being self-absorbed and wrapped up in my own life, but my mother was the most unselfish woman I know.  She gave her entire life in service to her family and others.  She worked in a noisy factory after dad got too sick to work, and what was supposed to be a temporary job, lasted until retirement for she wanted to give her four children a better life.  

She must have been very tired from working so hard at home and in that factory, yet she did it all without complaint. Besides keeping house, she cooked three meals a day, seven days a week.  If her children needed anything, she would sacrifice to help them when she could.  All this and she never missed church on Sunday mornings and taught her children that God came first and to obey Him always.

It's been about 40 years now, and both my parents are gone, but I can still remember that day that caused me to appreciate a woman who gave so much, yet received so little in return.  She can best be described by the biblical description of the virtuous woman, and this child was blessed to call her "mom."

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Constance2 wrote:

Most Christmases in my mind are a blur, but it's funny how one, seemingly normal holiday, can stick in your mind and cause a turning point in your life.

I was a single mother of two young children who lived a block from my parents' home in the neighborhood where I grew up.  It was a typical Christmas morning when the children arose early, excited to see what gifts they would be receiving.  The coffeepot was on, and a simple breakfast was on the stove.   The cozy apartment was decorated with a small tree with just enough colorfully wrapped gifts beneath it.  

The doorbell rang and when I went to see who could be there so very early, I was surprised to see my mother standing there.  She always had difficulty walking due to diabetic neuropathy, and rarely left the house on her own.  She didn't drive and depended on dad and others to take her places.  She had never been able to walk to my apartment, so I always visited her and dad at their home.  We traditionally celebrated holidays with them and would be there later to exchange gifts with the rest of the family.

I invited her in and told her I was happy, and yet very surprised to see her.  She said she just wanted to see the kids open their gifts.  I had no idea it would mean that much to her.

After pouring her a cup of coffee,  she sat down in a rocking chair near the tree with a smile on her face.  Her eyes twinkled as she saw each gift unwrapped by the children and appeared as happy as they were with every present they received.  

A transformation was slowly taking place in my own heart as I watched in wonder as she sat there contentedly.  It struck me for the first time, how very lonely she must be.  My father was company for her, but was not the type of man to care about her emotional needs, and she was too private a person to share her most intimate thoughts with anyone.  She kept her feelings inside.  

Before that Christmas morning, I was unaware of just how special my mother was, and how much she meant to me.  She became not just my mother on that day, but a true friend and fellow, struggling human being that I had been taking very much for granted.  

I didn't realize it at that time being self-absorbed and wrapped up in my own life, but my mother was the most unselfish woman I know.  She gave her entire life in service to her family and others.  She worked in a noisy factory after dad got too sick to work, and what was supposed to be a temporary job, lasted until retirement for she wanted to give her four children a better life.  

She must have been very tired from working so hard at home and in that factory, yet she did it all without complaint. Besides keeping house, she cooked three meals a day, seven days a week.  If her children needed anything, she would sacrifice to help them when she could.  All this and she never missed church on Sunday mornings and taught her children that God came first and to obey Him always.

It's been about 40 years now, and both my parents are gone, but I can still remember that day that caused me to appreciate a woman who gave so much, yet received so little in return.  She can best be described by the biblical description of the virtuous woman, and this child was blessed to call her "mom."

@Constance2

I can't really put together a decent reply to this, because the tears are blocking any coherent thoughts.

I just hope that every good mother gets to experience knowing how appreciated  and grateful their family is for all they do. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Constance2 wrote:

@Constance2

I can't really put together a decent reply to this, because the tears are blocking any coherent thoughts.

I just hope that every good mother gets to experience knowing how appreciated  and grateful their family is for all they do. 

--------------------------------

Tears in my eyes too. Beautifully written thoughts about your mother, Constance.  You have a gift for writing!!

Super Contributor

Thank you for your kind words, mominohio and corita.  They mean a lot.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

We weren't big on Christmas growing up.  My most memorable was when I was seeing my husband and he put up a small Charlie Brown tree for me.  He invited me over as he'd never bought a tree nor decorated one - he was so proud.  Of course I supported his efforts and his presents.  My, the way he wrapped those things - like a man would wrap them - too much tape, off-wonked paper placement, etc.  It is the heart and the thought that counts. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust