Contributor

Re: This Christmas

[ Edited ]

Holiday spending will be a challenge this year. I won't be purchasing any new decor items - I have enough from a lifetime of buying.  It's more important to me to spend the money on holiday get togethers' to be with family and friends in that way.  The cost of food will blow most of my budget, and with what's left over, I will present gift cards or cash to my family members.  It will be different, not better, not worse, just different.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family decided to stop all the gift giving to each other and the extended family and all go together and donate to a family in need, with gifts and food.  I think it was a great idea and there is nothing we need that we cannot just buy ourselves. Within reason. The money is put to better use this way and helpling a family in need is a wonderful thing.

Honored Contributor

@tarytoo wrote:

In years past for Christmas, we have spent a small fortune buying for everybody in our family. my brother and family total almost 20. With the cost of postage and shipping going through the roof. We said enough is enough. This year we are cutting way back. We are seniors with a limited income. Gift cards with token amounts will be the name of the game. It's the thought that counts. And in the past we have been more than generous. Time spent together is more precious to us now .  As for myself, I've begun to repurpose clothing by shopping at local thrifts. It's fun and affordable. Plus I've found Isaac, Belle, Woman Within, Graver, Basso, etc. brands. Hard times need special attention. 

@tarytoo I remember how hard it was when we were younger, besides having little money we were expected to dash around the state with gifts for all.  It was hard, and not much fun at times. But a blessing to have family.

Now they are gone, it's just the two of us, and a little sad, but we enjoy the peace and quiet and togetherness as our blessing for now.

Respected Contributor

A couple of years ago we asked our adult children to choose a charity they would like us to donate to on their behalf. They enjoy choosing one and we enjoy making that

contribution since we know it will be put to good use. They receive a nice acknowledgement from the organization. 

Respected Contributor

I cut back pretty significantly in 2020, so this year will be around the same level as the last two years.  

Honored Contributor

We'll probably spend about the same as last year.  We don't have any financial challenges and my grands are getting older and more fun to shop for.  I haven't thought about Christmas, I'm looking forward to Halloween and Thanksgiving now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Am already thinking about Christmas 2022. Do you think you will be spending less/cutting back on the # of gifts you buy or how many people you give wil be giving to? With none of our kids or grandkids being here for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I will prob not be spending as much or buying as many gifts. Most of our friends are all retired and need nothing really, but the prices I am seeing right now on just about everything is eye-popping. Am I the only one planning on spending less for Christmas gifts?

@Trailrun23 

With family we stopped gift giving years ago....

There's 4 of us close friends instead of a gift we give a small donation to that person's favorite charity. We just get together for the candlelight Christmas Eve church service and a Christmas Eve dinner afterwards at a favorite restauraunt.....and we look at Christmas light displays, and then watch a Christms movie.....

Christmas Day a family dinner at my sister's (its just me, my sis, brother and S.O's and a couple cousins-maybe a couple close friends) ----we play games .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

It's just my husband, me and the cats. We stopped buying Christmas gifts several years ago. We only give a gift cart to our hairdresser. We just bought new iPhones. We're done. 

@Meowingkitty 

No gifts for the kitties??? Family/friends have stopped giving gifts to each other but 2 of us get each others cats a little something....a toy or some catnip

....Cat Gifts for Christmas: Our Cat Gift Guide for Cats and Their People

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 I have only 2 grandchildren and 1 daughter plus parents to buy for.I usually stay within budget.My grandson is gratuating early and has asked for a pricey computer.I am thinking of getting him that,anad also saying its for xmas as well

Honored Contributor

At this time, I will decorate the house down stairs as I usually do and everything will flow as it usually does.  I am the matriarch of the family.  Our grandchildren only know Christmas as I do it.