Honored Contributor

Re: No longer set up a tree for holidays.

I have two trees...a 7 ft one and a flocked 3 ft one.  Last year, I only put out the 3 ft one with only1 red cardinal bird on it with clear lights.  It's an expensive tree and is very beautiful.

The year before I put up both trees.

I HATE putting up and taking down a Christmas tree, and I always have.  It depends on how I feel this year...my DH says he prefers the 3 ft tree only.  It's too much trouble for the 7 ft one.

My DH still puts up window lights and of course, we always have a wreath.  I also have a collection of handmade Santa's.  Some are pretty large.  i have so many that I don't put them out all at once...I rotate them.

I am not a big fan of Christmas, but try to make it nice for those that do and visit us.  To me, the decor is not important...the food is my #1 priority and I make a lot of it, all homemade.

Super Contributor

while I live alone, I decorate every season and holiday. this includes inside, front porch, and deck.

I no longer want to climb up on stools or ladders, so downsized tree from 6/5 to 5 footer. it goes up just before TGiving and down mid or end of January (take off ornaments and just have white lights in Jan like a forrest tree). 

thought about not putting things out but quickly knew I'd miss it all and make me sad. I love it all. 

the tree and outside lights are on timers, so no work once up. each year I do think about donating stuff and do. then turn around and end up getting some new, LOL

Honored Contributor

@traveler   Once I moved out, my Mother stopped putting a tree up, but she had huge fresh greens with large red bows hanging on either side of the mantle, and Christmas cards in between. maybe a little of odds and ends.

Respected Contributor

I decorate three or four trees almost every year and find it to be enjoyable. The trees are the core of my Christmas decorating and I cannot imagine not doing this.

I do find that I am trying to cut back on the number of vignettes in our home. Putting them out is not the problem.....taking them apart and packing away is exhausting for me.

Respected Contributor

We've never put up a tree at our house because we spend the holiday at my parent's house and put up the tree there.  Now that all the children are adults and we are not as limber and well-balanced as we used to be, we have stopped putting up Mom's tree, too.  We do decorate extensively, but skip the tree.  I keep thinking that I'll buy one of the slim trees that snaps together...maybe next year.

Trusted Contributor

I  do 6 trees. I  decorate all but one. It's  Valerie's sparkling pine. It doesn't need any  it's beautiful by it's self.

Honored Contributor

It's just me and my little dog at home, @traveler 

I don't put up a big tree, but found an adorable silver tinsel tree that's two feet tall which sits on my living room coffee table.  It gets decorated with small ornaments.  I also recently bought a pre-lit flocked tree (also about two feet tall) that goes in the bedroom on the dresser or another chest.  That one only gets a few straw-type birds.  Very au naturel!  And easy peasey, yet festive.

DSCN0428 (2).JPG

DSCN0436 (4).JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@traveler 

I've gone from a 10' tree on a rotating stand decorated with hundreds of Victorian ornaments to a 2 ft. tabletop tree.  

I haven't used my 'big' tree a long time.

While it was stunning, it took me 2-3 days to decorate and light.  It was exhausting.  Then, of course, the taking down and storing of all that stuff.

We used to entertain several times at the holidays and having a rotating tree in our dining room was always the highlight of the evening. 

My little 2 ft tree stays decorated with tiny ornaments and lights from year to year and awaits being moved on to a lovely antique end table and plugged in.

It's enough.

Respected Contributor

As long as I am able to I will always put up a tree. Even if it was just a table top one. 

Respected Contributor

When I moved into the apartment, I got a 5 ft. Balsam Hill tree. Put in on a covered storage tub to give it height. Covered the bin with a pretty velvety throw blanket.   It looked very pretty....but I miss having a bigger tree.

I just bought a 6-1/2 foot slim Balsam Hill tree.  (It was half-price, free shipping, and they sent me an additional $50 off coupon).  I think it will look beautiful in the spot I have available in the living room, and I look forward to putting it up Thanksgiving weekend.  

it looks simple to set up, and I enjoy decorating at Christmas, even though it is just me.  As others have said, I find it so relaxing to sit at night and enjoy the beautiful lights.