Honored Contributor

Re: Minimal Christmas Decor In Beautiful Variations

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

I honestly thought this was kind of lame.  Aside from the tree, the mantel swag, and a couple of small tree statues on the sideboard, there is nothing Christmas-y about this.  I understand minimalistic styling, but this looks more like she just has no talent for decorating.  

I'm there with you. I checked out a few minutes of several of her offerings and saw no reason to go further... Nothing personal, just differences in style... I didn't care for any of her incarnations of Christmas, and succlents are not my thing any time of the year...

@stevieb @TenderMercies

Some of these styles leave me cold...and even though I live in Texas I dont care for center piece of succlents ....doesnt say Christmas even here (now poinsettias they grow wild here---thats Christmas)..............

And some incarnations that lumber rustic style of just putting objects here and there...no picks around the reindeer, mercury trees etc didnt look styled...Her video really focused on the pillows which just looked like every day non seasonal pillows.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

I honestly thought this was kind of lame.  Aside from the tree, the mantel swag, and a couple of small tree statues on the sideboard, there is nothing Christmas-y about this.  I understand minimalistic styling, but this looks more like she just has no talent for decorating.  

I'm there with you. I checked out a few minutes of several of her offerings and saw no reason to go further... Nothing personal, just differences in style... I didn't care for any of her incarnations of Christmas, and succlents are not my thing any time of the year...

@stevieb @TenderMercies

Some of these styles leave me cold...and even though I live in Texas I dont care for center piece of succlents ....doesnt say Christmas even here (now poinsettias they grow wild here---thats Christmas)..............

And some incarnations that lumber rustic style of just putting objects here and there...no picks around the reindeer, mercury trees etc didnt look styled...Her video really focused on the pillows which just looked like every day non seasonal pillows.....

@Spurt Nothing against the woman, I guess she took the initiative to do the videos... but I'm finding so many of those with Youtube channels and decorating 'blogs' really miss the boat... Maybe I should start my own decorating blog

Woman Very Happy

I have no problem with different incarnations of Christmas decor. The fact is, I've done most of them, but all of hers looked very bland and, frankly, sort of 'done on a shoe string'. Maybe that was part of the plan...  None of them seemed well articulated or to have any real heart or soul... I guess she thinks she has more 'talent' that I think she has... And I honestly don't intend that to sound mean-spirited. I commend anyone for making an honest effort...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@stevieb @TenderMercies

@Spurt The good news for the lady in the video is that if she has a visitor coming over who hates Christmas, she could just slide the Christmas tree, the mantel garland, and the two tree statues from the sideboard into the bedroom and shut the door.  Then it will look like any other time of year in the apartment.  

It’s odd to me how everyone these days has a YouTube channel or a blog.  A coworker of mine fancies himself as the male Martha Stewart.  He sets up professional lighting and takes high def photos every time he makes a bowl of soup or tosses a salad.  He posted photos of his Christmas tree the other day.  It’s a green tree with flocking, all blue and white ornaments, and an oversized gold star on top.  Not only is the tree tilted more than that tower in Pisa, but blue, white and gold are the colors in the Walmart logo!  Guess where he works?  Yep, Walmart!  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@stevieb @TenderMercies

@Spurt Nothing against the woman, I guess she took the initiative to do the videos... but I'm finding so many of those with Youtube channels and decorating 'blogs' really miss the boat... Maybe I should start my own decorating blog

Woman Very Happy

I have no problem with different incarnations of Christmas decor. The fact is, I've done most of them, but all of hers looked very bland and, frankly, sort of 'done on a shoe string'. Maybe that was part of the plan...  None of them seemed well articulated or to have any real heart or soul... I guess she thinks she has more 'talent' that I think she has... And I honestly don't intend that to sound mean-spirited. I commend anyone for making an honest effort...

Woman Wink

@stevieb

Yep, I agree....I think you nailed it with no real heart or soul.  I don't mind exploring or seeing different decorating styles ---her "traditional" was OK.  But the rest was too bland.......I guess give her an "e" for effort............

The national media is jumping on the bandwaon and spotlighting all these YouTube "stars".....everyone is a decorator or chef these days--- just do a video...OY!!! 

Of course I questioned some of the so called "designers" that HGTV highlighted towards the end of their decor shows, particularly the Christmas decor shows....They decorated these far out Chritmas homes some of them looked like they were celebrating Halloween or Easter -----definitely NOT Christmas.....Where have the Lynn Jennings or Candace Olsen's, or Michael Payne of the world gone.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@stevieb @TenderMercies

@Spurt The good news for the lady in the video is that if she has a visitor coming over who hates Christmas, she could just slide the Christmas tree, the mantel garland, and the two tree statues from the sideboard into the bedroom and shut the door.  Then it will look like any other time of year in the apartment.  

It’s odd to me how everyone these days has a YouTube channel or a blog.  A coworker of mine fancies himself as the male Martha Stewart.  He sets up professional lighting and takes high def photos every time he makes a bowl of soup or tosses a salad.  He posted photos of his Christmas tree the other day.  It’s a green tree with flocking, all blue and white ornaments, and an oversized gold star on top.  Not only is the tree tilted more than that tower in Pisa, but blue, white and gold are the colors in the Walmart logo!  Guess where he works?  Yep, Walmart!  

@TenderMercies

My sister is more of a minimal decorator, but her place looks nice....a nice tree, garland above her kitchen cabinets and touches of Christmas in her rooms....

Yep it seems that people have moved on from Facebook to You Tube because everyone's now an "expert".  OMG your co-worker....sounds like a legend in his own mind...LOL!!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@stevieb @TenderMercies

@TenderMercies

My sister is more of a minimal decorator, but her place looks nice....a nice tree, garland above her kitchen cabinets and touches of Christmas in her rooms....

Yep it seems that people have moved on from Facebook to You Tube because everyone's now an "expert".  OMG your co-worker....sounds like a legend in his own mind...LOL!!!! 

@Spurt LOL, I should mention that we are coworkers at the food cooperative, not Walmart!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt It's an internet kind of world, my friend... Throw up a couple of videos, start a blog and it seems you can call yourself anything you want and apparently make big bucks doing it... What I find unfortunate is the extent to which some of the bona fide shelter magazines are giving them credibility by featuring 'bloggers' so often... I recently saw an article (one among many, I'd add) in one of my favorite magazines that featured a blogger's home decor and the way she'd done it up for Christmas... It was innocuous, appealing in its way, but certainly nothing unique or particularly fabulous and certainly nothing I'd pay someone to come and do to my house...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@stevieb @TenderMercies

Do you have any idea how much money folks are making on blogs and youtube? Big $$$ that is why everyone is on the bandwagon. Once sponsers start noticing you then the big bucks come in. 

Honored Contributor

@ChrissyKR wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@stevieb @TenderMercies

Do you have any idea how much money folks are making on blogs and youtube? Big $$$ that is why everyone is on the bandwagon. Once sponsers start noticing you then the big bucks come in. 

@ChrissyKR

Personally, I dont care how much money they make on YouTube with all these desperate sponsors.  The main point is do they have actual TALENT and ARTISTRY to merit this attention....that's the question!!!  Their income does absolutely nothing for me.............

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt It's an internet kind of world, my friend... Throw up a couple of videos, start a blog and it seems you can call yourself anything you want and apparently make big bucks doing it... What I find unfortunate is the extent to which some of the bona fide shelter magazines are giving them credibility by featuring 'bloggers' so often... I recently saw an article (one among many, I'd add) in one of my favorite magazines that featured a blogger's home decor and the way she'd done it up for Christmas... It was innocuous, appealing in its way, but certainly nothing unique or particularly fabulous and certainly nothing I'd pay someone to come and do to my house...

@stevieb

It's a ME, ME, ME, ME....look at me kinda world....and that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better one....more like its a sad one......because the attention doesnt correspond with the talent and artistry........Its just more of people fixated on their screens these days instead opening their eyes and seeing real possibilities in the big wide world we live in....Life is more than just a screen!!!  But I guess these TV shows and magazines feel the need to make a connection in order to attract the one dimensional audience out there.......But one wonders where do we go from here.........internet,smart phones,tablets can only do so much.....Now they are talking about electronics and what's next which they say is the evolution of robots....just like the Jetsons we will soon have our very own Rosie.........Woman Frustrated

download.jpg