Occasional Contributor
I've been a huge Valerie fan for years. Still am. But, her prices are now too high for me, and new ideas seem few and far between. Martha Stewart's prices can be just as high, but her items are more elevated than Valerie's and many we haven't seen before.
Occasional Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Today received Martha's gold wreath and it's perfect (as I knew it would be).  Will use on front door in holiday season before the formal Christmas wreath is needed.

Opinion:  Martha goes for Quality and fewer items

Valerie goes for volume Quantity - sell lots - so cheaper items offered.

Honored Contributor

You can find close to the same thing at Michaels or hobby lobby. Probably the same factories in China for both. She can be seen as aspirational to some and that drives up sales because of her image and presentation approach. The two things I bought from her chipped easily and were overall a disappointment. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Martha on Top

[ Edited ]

Both sell junky-looking things in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

Boy, am I out of the loop!

How often is Martha giving presentations these days?  I would like to catch a show; didn't even realize she had product on QVC! 

Honored Contributor

I never purchased any of her items but she went on and on and on about how elevated and elegant and high-quality her recent TSV light strands were.  I ordered two sets, four strands altogether, and they arrived broken and damaged.  

Valued Contributor

The last two yrs I have ordered TSV's of VPH and they were broken. I had purchased multiple sets both times and had to send all but one back. The only reason that one item did not go back (it was sold in 2021 as an oversized snowglobe type ornament with a Christmas scene and glitter) was because my kid loved it because it was Santa and they did not care it did not work. I ordered the strands from MS this year and not only did they ship almost immediately, they worked perfectly,

Respected Contributor

I didn't watch any of the CIJ shows.  I don't need anything.  I did notice Marth Stewart was back on air though.  In the past, I have done better, price wise, shopping Hobby Lobby or Michaels.  I've especially noticed items at Hobby Lobby are very similar to VPH if not a spot on match for a lot less money.  I am concerned about my local Michaels store.  For some time now they look like they're in trouble.  Many aisles don't have a thing.  Gone are all those wreaths they would have up high to the ceiling.  Barely anyone in the store.  I've mentioned this store before on a different thread:  atHome store.  Huge selection.  Really nice wreaths at a very reasonable price point.

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

You can find close to the same thing at Michaels or hobby lobby. Probably the same factories in China for both. She can be seen as aspirational to some and that drives up sales because of her image and presentation approach. The two things I bought from her chipped easily and were overall a disappointment. 

I can't get to Micheals or Hobby Lobby, so see there are a lot of folks like me, who are thrilled to shop with Valerie or Martha. Where in the USA do they make things like China makes? I've had things from Valerie going on 7 years, still beautiful, and still make me happy.