Respected Contributor

Re: Is This Toy Appropriate????

@geezerette wrote:

@On It wrote:

@geezerette I remember it so vividly because I was hospitalized at age 6 and very ill for quite some time. My grandfather gave me a book of Mother Goose rhymes. My mother read it to me, and I could not believe that sparrow could be so evil. The illustration accompanying the rhyme showed the robin lying on his back with the arrow sticking out of his breast. My response was anger at the sparrow.

@On It 

Interesting.  It does date back much farther as a song, but it could have been included in a Mother Goose book.  (It has more in common with some of the Grimm's than Mother Goose to me.)  I didn't have any Mother Goose books when I was that age, so I don't know.

And an FYI: The rhyme also has an alternative ending, in which the sparrow who killed ****** Robin is hanged for his crime. 😉

All of these rhymes, fables, and fairy tales were told before they were written. Cinderella has a Native American counterpart called "Little Burnt Face." Trying to determine their origins is impossible. The various collections that compiled the stories in written form gathered them from those oral beginnings and would certainly overlap.

Thank you for sharing the sparrow's fate. He had it coming. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interesting Selection In This Toy Item

[ Edited ]

Grimm's Fairy Tails.

If you don't like the stories  than by all means don't buy the books .

There are many newly written children's books that are not to my liking  so  I just don't buy them

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interesting Selection In This Toy Item

When I was a kid, Mary had a Little Lamb had four verses.  And it got really bloody.

After Goldilocks was changed from using an old witch, they kept the three bears as males with the little girl 🙄

None of these stories are PC.