Honored Contributor

Interesting Selection In This Toy Item

[ Edited ]

This Sunday Morning on the Pat & Dan Show a toy item was presented T37382, it was a storybook and play set....While the stories were children's favorites (The 3 Little Pigs, Goldilocks, Little Bo Peep.....) The one I questioned was Hansel and Gretel while the gingerbread house would indeed be appealing to kids, especailly since it's included in the play set... I question whether the rest of the story is:  Unless they changed the story what I recall was the witch was fattening up the kids to eat them, and then the kids end up killing the witch by pushing her into the oven, and the witch was one of the characters included im the set....So again, I ask, couldnt a different story have been selected....it doesnt seem appropriate AT ALL.. I just found it odd...maybe its just me...🤔

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Re: Is This Toy Appropriate????

There are several popular childhood storybooks, cartoons and movies from way back that I think were inappropriate. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting Selection In This Toy Item

@Spurt    They clean up the old stories for the modern audience whose sensitivities are offended by the blood and gore of the older versions.  Most people don't even remember Bambi's mother being killed in the original story. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Witches don't go in ovens anymore????

Just kidding around, it's a story and lately everyone is so sensitive to what is black, white, blue, green, purple, male, female, down, up.  It's actually driving me crazy that everyday there's a new word or phrase that's not appropriate anymore.  

Hansel and Gretel was published in 1812 and now all of a sudden in 2021 the story is no good.  The story is fine, its the people driving this culture.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt  Yeah, totally up to you. I'm sure some people will find it offensive, so they don't have to purchase the set. I do monitor what my grandchildren read and view when they are with me, but I can't protect them from everything.  That being said, I grew up with Hansel and Gretel and have yet to roast my first witch. Also, doesn't Goldilocks involve unlawful entry? 

Honored Contributor

I had the TV on and heard part of that presentation from the other room but I didn't actually sit down and watch it so I don't know the details.

I didn't really think it was inappropriate, but I did wonder if the kids nowadays read those same old fairy tales (or have someone read them to the kids).  I figured they'd be too old fashioned for the parents of today's children.

As to your point @Spurt, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they changed the story (or stories).  They seem to be changing everything else nowadays to suit.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are very old stories from a different time. The wolf is trying to blow the house down to eat the little pigs, Goldilocks was a burglar who destroyed some of the bear's property, ate their food,  and became a squatter, etc, etc. They were teaching a lesson or moral whether about doing quality work and not taking shortcuts, never trusting strangers, or beware of wickedness. 

I remember being traumatized by Mother Goose, "Who Shot ****** Robin?"  Parents will need to decide how or when to share these stories with children. I don't know any children who have disliked these old classics.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Witches don't go in ovens anymore????

Just kidding around, it's a story and lately everyone is so sensitive to what is black, white, blue, green, purple, male, female, down, up.  It's actually driving me crazy that everyday there's a new word or phrase that's not appropriate anymore.  

Hansel and Gretel was published in 1812 and now all of a sudden in 2021 the story is no good.  The story is fine, its the people driving this culture.  

@Just Bling 

And thats why I am a bit surprised especially in today's world....afterall if Dr. Seuss, Pepe LePew, and even Mr. Potato Head are banned....but canniabalism and murder are okay???.....just made me pause....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

These are very old stories from a different time. The wolf is trying to blow the house down to eat the little pigs, Goldilocks was a burglar who destroyed some of the bear's property, ate their food,  and became a squatter, etc, etc. They were teaching a lesson or moral whether about doing quality work and not taking shortcuts, never trusting strangers, or beware of wickedness. 

I remember being traumatized by Mother Goose, "Who Shot ****** Robin?"  Parents will need to decide how or when to share these stories with children. I don't know any children who have disliked these old classics.

The title of my Mother Goose rhyme got bleeped. I think that is so funny considering the subject of these posts. "I said the sparrow with my little bow and arrow" is the answer to the question in case you are trying to recall the title that got censored.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Spurt  Yeah, totally up to you. I'm sure some people will find it offensive, so they don't have to purchase the set. I do monitor what my grandchildren read and view when they are with me, but I can't protect them from everything.  That being said, I grew up with Hansel and Gretel and have yet to roast my first witch. Also, doesn't Goldilocks involve unlawful entry? 

@PA Mom-mom 

I dont think a story would make a child act something out....like look for a witch to burn....but the story could disturb some young children, or since ther's such a focus on child psychology these days, you'd think that scenario would be banned It seems odd, how some things aren't allowed, and others are....Your right, Goldilocks broke into the home, the little tresspasser....😄