Honored Contributor

Re: I made my first candle

[ Edited ]

Thank you,  @Carmie , and for sharing that "dip tip," Woman Happy

I knew I couldn't go too far wrong by starting with Slatkin material.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I wanna do that, too @GingerPeach 

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I did that as a child - we used paraffin and poured it over crushed ice, which created a "Swiss cheese" effect (I think it also kept the glass container from cracking).  I think we used food coloring.

We used a pencil balanced across the top of the glass to hold the wick in place (it was looped around).

I remember doing that in both elementary school and summer camp. We made ours in those single-serve milk cartons. When the wax hardened, you tore off the carton to reveal your creation. We also used the pencil to hold the wick in place.

@Alison Wonderland @Sweetbay magnolia.  I used to make them with the ice and milk carton also. Usually with my Grandmother.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I did that as a child - we used paraffin and poured it over crushed ice, which created a "Swiss cheese" effect (I think it also kept the glass container from cracking).  I think we used food coloring.

We used a pencil balanced across the top of the glass to hold the wick in place (it was looped around).

I remember doing that in both elementary school and summer camp. We made ours in those single-serve milk cartons. When the wax hardened, you tore off the carton to reveal your creation. We also used the pencil to hold the wick in place.

@Alison Wonderland @Sweetbay magnolia.  I used to make them with the ice and milk carton also. Usually with my Grandmother.

I made those type of ice candles when I was a kid too.  I remember whipping the wax with a hand mixer until the wax was frothy and frosting the candles with it. The froth was always white and the ice candle always red. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I made my first candle

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I made those type of ice candles when I was a kid too.  I remember whipping the wax with a hand mixer until the wax was frothy and frosting the candles with it. The froth was always white and the ice candle always red. 

@Carmie. We just melted the wax and poured it in the milk carton over the ice cubes. We didn’t whip it or frost the candles. Put them in fridge then peeled off the carton and had a candle with holes in it from the ice cubes.

Honored Contributor

I like the glass holder, simply but chunky.  I like clear, plain glass, no frost or etching.  Very nice!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   we made the same type of candles as you described, then frosted them with "wax snow" and sprinkled clear glitter on them.  

You can also do ice cream treat candles with this method too. The whipped wax looks like whipped cream and can be applied with a piping bag just like real frosting.

Here's a pic to explain what I am talking about.  It was messy and fun.

5633CB3A-B7F5-4E23-8CDF-3C6047002323.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I love artisan-type threads, informative and fun!

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach  Like several other posters, I also made the ice and milk carton "found" version of the candle when I was young. I also used cylindrical molds and taper molds. My dad had antique candle molds, but he didn't let me use them. Also, my brothers and I would take crayons from our "old crayon tin can" and melt them down over a bunsen burner and make multi-colored "candles." They actually worked!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Oh, I remember frothing wax! We did it to make ice cream candles where the frothy white was was whipped cream.