Honored Contributor

I made my first candle

[ Edited ]

Well, I didn't actually "make" it, basically, I melted the remnants of an old one and poured it into a glass.

The glass was from a Slatkin special from years ago on one of those charity Saturday shows.  The wax I melted was left from one of Slatkin's Partridge in a Pear Tree candles.  There was enough left to fill the glass.

I love the heftiness of the glass.  I wish Slatkin would offer more candles in those glasses.

Does anyone make candles?

As soon as it finishes cooling, I'll snip the wick.

DSCN0785.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

When I have wax left from a burned candle I just chop it up and throw the pieces in my wax melter. 

Respected Contributor

What did you use for a wick?

Honored Contributor

When I was in college and low on cash, I made candles for Christmas gifts. At that time ( long ago ) supplies were relatively inexpensive, and I made some nice gifts.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I did that as a child - we used paraffin and poured it over crushed ice, which created a "Swiss cheese" effect (I think it also kept the glass container from cracking).  I think we used food coloring.

We used a pencil balanced across the top of the glass to hold the wick in place (it was looped around).

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Yes, I used to make candles. When I was a kid, it was at school, summer camp, or with my mom. My mom and her sisters were lifelong crafters. They have an aunt who was a noted weaver and fiber artist. One of her sisters edited craft magazines and books. Another is a quilter. My mom knits, sews, crochets, paints, quilts, embroiders, and cross stitches. Over the years she also tried beading, soft sculptures, polymer clay, pysanky eggs, decoupage, macrame, face painting, and candle making.

I grew up in a house getting to work with her on all of those things. I've also done paper mache, soap making, paper making, and stained glass.

Candle making is fun. I usually made pillars and votives and enjoyed experimenting with different colors and scents.

Honored Contributor

Re: I made my first candle

[ Edited ]

In the past I have made many candles.  When my daughter got married, I made all the candles for her ceremony and reception.  

I still have cases of glass containers and votive cups, rolls of wick floss and those little metal thingies that you glue to the bottom of your containers,to,hold,the wicks in place. and some molds.

I have a few boxes of 10 and five lb. blocks of candle wax.  At one time Yankee Candle used to sell their scented wax in blocks to the general public in a few scents.  I still have blocks of Home Sweet Home in red left.

When Williamsburg Candle went out of business, I bought blocks of wax and other candle supplies from them.

I really do like to make them.  If I use scented wax, my house smells nice for day after melting and pouring.

I forgot about making candles and I am glad you brought this up.  I have everything I need and should start using up my supplies.

Your little candle looks great.  No bubbles or bumps.  Your pour looks excellent.

When I pour into glass containers, I hold a little bit of the wax back.  After candle cools, there is usually an area around the wick where the wax has sunken in.  I then do a second pour to fill that hole and make the top of the wax even and smooth.

Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Looks like a real wick from the craft store.

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I did that as a child - we used paraffin and poured it over crushed ice, which created a "Swiss cheese" effect (I think it also kept the glass container from cracking).  I think we used food coloring.

We used a pencil balanced across the top of the glass to hold the wick in place (it was looped around).

I remember doing that in both elementary school and summer camp. We made ours in those single-serve milk cartons. When the wax hardened, you tore off the carton to reveal your creation. We also used the pencil to hold the wick in place.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

@PinkyPetunia 

I bought a set from amazon that had the fewest number of wicks since I won't be doing a whole lot of candle-making.

It's called "ERICX Light 8 inch candle wick with candle wick stickers and candlewick centering device, 60 pcs."  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.