Regular Contributor

Re: Holiday Decorating. Why do we do it?

@Susan Louise

Beautiful tree!  I love those little white owls.

~Quack

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928

Well, I know I am at the bottom of this thread & very few will take time to read my thoughts, but I will throw them out here anyway--to attempt to clarify them in my own mind & articulate what I think I've learned here.

I found this thread to be bittersweet.  So many of you shared memories of the way your mother decorated and of happy times with homes full of people and events and beautiful seasonal decor and then...life losses--death of loved ones, moves to new places, relationship changes, health/strength/stamina decline, etc.

The different reactions to these unavoidable life changes stood out to me. Some of you decided to stop decorating altogether, some decided to cut back and unload excess decor, and some indicated that they will continue decorating no matter what.

It all made me pause and reflect rather deeply on why I decorate and what I hope to accomplish with my decor.  

What IS the point?  Am I just being a good American consumer/robot buying more junk to fill my house and keep others employed?  

No, I attempting--within my means--to create beauty in my little corner of the world. For me, my home is my canvas and my decorations are the paint on my palette. With them, I hope to create an oasis, a refuge from the stresses of the "outside," a place for me and/or my family to be able to relax and feel the pleasures and safety of that place we all innately long for--elucidated in classics such as The Odyssey--HOME.

~Quack

Honored Contributor

@Quackeroo wrote:

@Julie928

Well, I know I am at the bottom of this thread & very few will take time to read my thoughts, but I will throw them out here anyway--to attempt to clarify them in my own mind & articulate what I think I've learned here.

I found this thread to be bittersweet.  So many of you shared memories of the way your mother decorated and of happy times with homes full of people and events and beautiful seasonal decor and then...life losses--death of loved ones, moves to new places, relationship changes, health/strength/stamina decline, etc.

The different reactions to these unavoidable life changes stood out to me. Some of you decided to stop decorating altogether, some decided cut back and unload excess decor, and some indicated that they will continue decorating no matter what.

It all made me pause and reflect rather deeply on why I decorate and what I hope to accomplish with my decor.  

What IS the point?  Am I just being a good American consumer/robot buying more junk to fill my house and keep others employed?  

No, I attempting--within my means--to create beauty in my little corner of the world. For me, my home is my canvas and my decorations are the paint on my palette. With them, I hope to create an oasis, a refuge from the stresses of the "outside," a place for me and/or my family to be able to relax and feel the pleasures and safety of that place we all innately long for--elucidated in classics such as The Odyssey--HOME.

~Quack

@Quackeroo

I'm glad I came back and took the time to read your post!!!

So well said, and I think captures the sentiment of everyone who participates on this forum. 

This easily could be the forward for a book, or a piece written for publication! Beautiful words, beautiful sentiment! Thank you!

Occasional Contributor

I think once you start the tradition your family expects it and misses it if you don't decorate. It's just my husband and me now and I really don't go to as much trouble anymore. My husband will say,"don't go over board hon, just make it look like xmas". I'll do it as long as I'm physically able.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1...my dh is 15+ years older than me....and while he is in good health, except for A-Fib, and works every day at our business, I try not to have him do to many projects that I can do....so all my decorating 'stuff' is in the garage in totes.  That way I can access them when ever I want without having to ask him to help.  The ony other place to store would be an attic space in the garage that I don't even want to access, ha!

Christmas takes the bulk of my totes but I do have plenty of things for spring and fall as well, I just have to limit to what I have, the garage is not over sized.

I hope you DH's back is feeling better, and you did make a huge sacrifice for him as far as moving.  I'd like to move husband is not interested but I also know that I would miss my friends....friends are not easy to make as we age.