Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker It's so hard and you have my thoughts and prayers.

My advice?  Don't expect too much, just think it's different now and do something fun like a picnic as was suggested.  Maybe dye some eggs, take a bunch of candy in an Easter basket to pass out--small things like kisses etc.  

Put the best face on it you can muster, not always easy, and try to get the staff who has to work in the spirit and have fun passing out goodies to to them to brighten up the day.  

Maybe take some small something to leave with your husband--a little pillow, a drinking cup or mug, etc. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Easter Dinner

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Things have changed in the last decade @coffee drinker. It's awful they don't think of families at holiday time. When my in-laws were in the nursing home, they provided a wonderful meal for up to four family members to enjoy with our loved ones. The fee was nominal - about $8 a plate. We were offered this for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. They'd even let us use the activity room if we wanted to bring in birthday meals.

Perhaps the logic is that families would be preparing meals at home, bringing in a picnic of sorts to share with their loved ones?  This way the facilities staff, who are often overworked and underpaid, can be home with their own families.

Respected Contributor

Have you taken meals before and know they allow outside food for residents? When my husband was in the local hospital I took food for him that he requested, nurse saw me and  would not allow him to have it. If you have not I would check before bringing. I do not know how other areas are but facilities here are STRICT with rules.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker   I’m sorry you are going through this now.  I think maybe a Quiche, croissants, fruit salad, a dessert if earlier.  If truly dinner time, maybe a meal easy to transport and not needing heated.  Ham, potato salad, Cole slaw.  I do know honey baked ham, you can get portions if you don’t need a whole ham. I hope you can enjoy the holiday and spending time with him.  

If you can, a small basket of candy or treats for the staff.  I’m sure they would appreciate it, since they are working the holiday.  A family member was in the hospital for an extended time at Christmas, and the staff truly appreciated it.  I put some candy, tea bags and a few lip balms and small hand cream tins in two baskets.  

Respected Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@coffee drinker   I’m sorry you are going through this now.  I think maybe a Quiche, croissants, fruit salad, a dessert if earlier.  If truly dinner time, maybe a meal easy to transport and not needing heated.  Ham, potato salad, Cole slaw.  I do know honey baked ham, you can get portions if you don’t need a whole ham. I hope you can enjoy the holiday and spending time with him.  

If you can, a small basket of candy or treats for the staff.  I’m sure they would appreciate it, since they are working the holiday.  A family member was in the hospital for an extended time at Christmas, and the staff truly appreciated it.  I put some candy, tea bags and a few lip balms and small hand cream tins in two baskets.  

@lynnie61 @Very thoughtful of you to think of the staff, that goes a long way.....they don't forget. Individually wrapped crackers, candy and cookies are a good choice as all shifts are able to enjoy. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions.  They sound delicious. I still haven't decided what I'll bring, but DH suggested some sort of baked pasta dish and also mentioned chicken.  Pretty easy and both can be prepared/baked at the same time. 

Again, many thanks, and  happy Easter and Passover to all. 

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I hope you have a nice day together.

It sounds like a tough situation and anything you can pull together will be appreciated, provided you have a good transport means (thermal bag).

Cogito ergo sum