Respected Contributor

This year will be a tough one because my DH has been in a "skilled nurses" facility for 2 months.  This place does have a sort of cafeteria, but it isn't opened on weekends.  Can you believe that?  Anyway, he'll be spending the holiday there and while they do serve meals to patients only, nothing is "offered" to wives or husbands or SO on the holiday.  That really doesn't bother me.  My question is what packable, totable food can I make for the both of us.  Making a "complete" meal would be difficult to do, so I was thinking of some sort of baked pasta dish (stuffed shells, manicotti).  Any other ideas you may have.

Trusted Contributor

@coffee drinker  That's too bad that they can't make arrangements for a little brunch at least.  😕  How about a quiche and salad on the side? Both would be easy to make and easy to transport.  Maybe take a thermos of coffee or tea, too?

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker :  What does your DH like?  You could plan lunch around his (and yours favs). For traditional Easter maybe ham slices, potato salad (or mashed potatoes), deviled eggs, rolls, green bean or squash casserole, fresh fruit salad, pie or cake slices. All of this would be easy to pack along with your beverage like tea or a fruit tea, etc. I truly believe anything you make will be wonderful because you will be together.

Respected Contributor

I think you should make things as stress free as possible for you. If you can afford to splurge how about having someone else prepare your holiday meal. Is there a certain restaurant he may be craving? I would order a couple of dinners for takeout. Or see if your local grocery store has some prepared meals and dessert slices.

Honored Contributor

Re: Easter Dinner

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker,

If you have a Cracker Barrel near you they have nice esp holiday dinners that you could pick up or if you have door dash or grub hub they deliver.

Whatever you do I hope you both have a sweet time together!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Ask him what he would like for lunch and try to fix what he wants keeping in mind any dietary restrictions that he may have. 

If you are not up to cooking a meal order a couple of dinners from your favorite restaurant. But check to see if they are open on Easter. Most will be. But Publix has posted that they will be closed on Easter Sunday.

Respected Contributor

Re: Easter Dinner

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker 

Wow that's too bad about the kitchen not being open on weekends, and unusual.

Not sure what stores are in your area, but during Covid lockdown, 2020 Easter, and after my mom passed that week, my neighbor thoughfully delivered a delicious packed premade meal from Fresh Market. (If you don't live near one, other stores all seem to be doing prepared meals these days)

It consisted of a frozen lasagna that just needed heating, side of arugula salad, some other veggies I think too, and some sweet treats. All very good.

All the baked dish requires is a microwave to heat up or else heat before leaving in your oven, depending on your drive may stay pretty warm in the right container. But hopefully there is a microwave at the facility, if it needs heating.

We've bought the Honey Baked Hams and Turkeys before too...cooked and only requiring heating up also, very good too.

Lots of great ideas from other here too.

Best of luck to you and hope your hubby and you are able to have a nice holiday together.

Esteemed Contributor

Could you make a dinner of things that he likes and then make individual servings to take so you wouldn't have to drag everything?

Esteemed Contributor

I think in your situation I would make more like a picnic basket.  Easier to carry and less messy, no heating needed.   Get a nice spiral ham and make some sandwiches with it.  You could also bring some prepared potato salad, macaroni salad or green salad????  Whatever you both will enjoy.  I hope you have a nice holiday together.

Honored Contributor

Things have changed in the last decade @coffee drinker. It's awful they don't think of families at holiday time. When my in-laws were in the nursing home, they provided a wonderful meal for up to four family members to enjoy with our loved ones. The fee was nominal - about $8 a plate. We were offered this for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. They'd even let us use the activity room if we wanted to bring in birthday meals.