Trusted Contributor

Do you have any holiday movie traditions?

Bellabutterfly's question about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade brought to mind a movie tradition in our family. 

Thanksgiving evening, after everything is put away and we settle in for the night, we sit down together, enjoy a Thanksgiving dessert and watch Miracle On 34th St. That ushers in the Christmas Season for us.

Every year, on Christmas Eve, we settle into our Christmas jammies with hot cocoa and Christmas cookies and watch It's A Wonderful Life. 

On Christmas Day, in the evening, after all the festivities are  said and done, we relax in front of the TV with a Christmas dessert and watch A Christmas Story. 

We enjoy these quiet, relaxing family times after the festivities of big, busy days. 

Do do you have any holiday movie traditions? If not, I'd love to hear what holiday movies, or even, animated holiday shows you love to watch. Do you love the old school classics or contemporary favorites? 

Other than the above, I lean toward the old school classics. I love White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife. Among the more contemporary, but still classic to me, I love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone and Scrooge. 

For sentimental, childhood cartoon classics, I love A Charlie  Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I have to say though, every year, I just have to watch Olive the Other Reindeer. I just ❤️ Olive. She just hits me in the Christmas feels.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have any holiday movie traditions?

Yes I do, this is where the kid in me can still come out each year. I'm in my glory and own a lot of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometime over the holiday season it's a tradition---some friends and I always get together to watch Meet Me In St. Louis (Judy Garland sings Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas)......and of course A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, and The Year Without Santa Claus....

On a cold wintry day I always like to watch The Bishop's Wife-- my FAVORITE CHRISTMAS MOVIE(Cary Grant--how can you go wrong, David Niven, and Loretta Young---), Also The Shop Around The Corner, It's A Wonderful Life! and Holiday Inn, and White Christmas too--depending on what's been planned, we may watch one of these on Christmas Day.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

1 tv family + holiday + Dad rules = football football football

I've seen all the old traditional movies dozens of times, though.  I enjoy Love Actually & a couple of the old animated movies voiced by Fred Astaire & Burl Ives.  There's also a very good one based on a Dylan Thomas story, but it's rarely aired except maybe on a PBS channel - A Child's Christmas in Wales.

Respected Contributor

I am a sucker for Christmas Movies.  Love them!  

True to my Heart is "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" with the one and only Burl Ives.  As a child...You know how you have memories of your first this or that?  That is what this movie does for me...I had just turned 4 Years old it was 1964...Vivid memories right down to what I was wearing and the little rocking chair I was sitting in while watching it.  

Yes, I love it's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street (I like the old one), Still laugh and love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...And tell who does not love Charlie Brown?  

The Hallmark Channel...Starting, I think Thanksgiving Day... Christmas Movies all day long...Love it!

Yes, I love Christmas, always have, alway will...  

Trusted Contributor

@Bellabutterfly, I am SO looking forward to the Hallmark Christmas movies! We changed cable providers a couple years ago who did not offer The Hallmark Channel, so I've missed out on their holiday movies.  They just added it recently and I am thrilled to have it back.

@Spurt, the Bishop's Wife is Christmas movie perfection. I ❤️ Cary Grant. 

One of my old favorites back in the 80's was a made for TV movie called It Came Upon A Midnight Clear starring Mickey Rooney. I wish they would bring it out on dvd. It was a very heartwarming movie.  

Back in the late 70's, my daughter and I loved a Christmas cartoon called The Tiny Tree. Sweet story. I wish they would bring that one back too. 

I love your stories. Thanks for replying. 🎄😊🎅🏻

Respected Contributor

I enjoy the Hallmark TV channel holiday movies that will begin in Nov. through Dec.

Respected Contributor

I was explaining to my son in law, last week, how I used to wait all year to try to see White Chirstmas & Holiday Inn. He's 28. I have never seen Miracle on 34th St, It's A Wonderful Life or The Christmas Story. I don't know why I haven't. I think I have watched every other movie ever made.

Respected Contributor

I don't have set times for watching my favourites but I try to see them sometime.  I have yet to see Christmas vacation all the way through.  but there is a sceen where Chevy is talking to his neighbor and the man had on a white shirt with a black dicky  I COULD NOT get past the outline of that Dicky through the white sweater!  To this day I don't know what they were talking about!  I am most fond of A Charie Brown Christmas.  My favourite sceene is when Charlie and Linus  leave to get the Christmat tree.  The dark sky, the white snowy road, the spotlights in the distance.  Really well done atmosphere for a cartoon!  I miss the classic commercials that sponsored the shows too.  Dolly Madison cakes and when Rudolph came on it was really fun to see the elves riding on the electric shavers through the snow.  Happy Holidays from " Noelco".  It was years before I could watch  the part where the Bumble was sharpening his cutlery ready to have deer for dinner!  Anyone else watch that from BEHIND the couch?  I remember seeing The Little Drummer Boy once or twice  Liked that one a lot. Like The Grinch animated not the movie.  Tony the tiger sings and Boris Karloff is remembered for something other than monster movies!  Now I'm looking forward to seeing them again!

Honored Contributor

I enjoy White Christmas, and The Holiday.  I like The Last Holiday, too, even though that's not Christmas specifically, it is set partially in the snowy Alps.  I also like Barbara Stanwyck in Christmas in Connecticut, although maybe not every year.

Sometimes if I'm in the mood I'll check to see whether any of the tv shows I have on DVD have a Christmas episode.  Not all the time - just perhaps every few years.

The Hallmark channel offers some nice ones that set the mood, and "regular" television usually offers one or more traditional movies.  

Sometimes it's more fun to watch something that just "comes on" instead of a DVD that I play on purpose.

Does anybody else ever feel that way?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.